* What would be the best screenshot of Emacs for the homepage?
@ 2015-12-11 12:50 Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-12-11 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Currently I'm using a very simple screenshot of Emacs on the homepage,
which doesn't really show what Emacs is capable of.

So I'm now looking for the best screenshot to be used on the homepage!
Ideas welcome, with the following constraints:

- The screenshot must be around 800x300px
- I want to show stock Emacs (no theme)
- I want to promote the GNOME enviromnent over Windows/OS X

If you have a suggestion and would like to send a screenshot, please do
so!

Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: What would be the best screenshot of Emacs for the homepage?
@ 2015-12-11 13:06 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2015-12-11 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Currently I'm using a very simple screenshot of Emacs on the homepage,
> which doesn't really show what Emacs is capable of.
>
> So I'm now looking for the best screenshot to be used on the homepage!
> Ideas welcome, with the following constraints:
>
> - The screenshot must be around 800x300px
> - I want to show stock Emacs (no theme)
> - I want to promote the GNOME enviromnent over Windows/OS X

Just kidding:

[-- Attachment #2: emacs.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 74217 bytes --]

David Kastrup

* Re: What would be the best screenshot of Emacs for the homepage?
@ 2015-12-11 13:11   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-12-11 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Just kidding:

Ahaha, that'd be really fun ;-)

@ 2015-12-11 13:20 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2015-12-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:

> So I'm now looking for the best screenshot to be used on the homepage!
> Ideas welcome, with the following constraints:
>
> - The screenshot must be around 800x300px

Any plans for having a separate screenshot for HiDPI displays?

@ 2015-12-11 13:23   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-12-11 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:
>
>> So I'm now looking for the best screenshot to be used on the homepage!
>> Ideas welcome, with the following constraints:
>>
>> - The screenshot must be around 800x300px
>
> Any plans for having a separate screenshot for HiDPI displays?

Yes, definitely.

@ 2015-12-11 21:05     ` Pierre Lecocq
From: Pierre Lecocq @ 2015-12-11 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel, Yuri Khan

> - I want to promote the GNOME enviromnent over Windows/OS X

Wouldn't it be better not to promote any enviromnent (as in "OS" or "Window
Manager")?

I understand the idea to promote a FOSS enviromnent vs a proprietary one,
but as GNU/Emacs is supported by such a wide variety of plateforms (GNOME
is not the default/recommended/usable WM on every ones), it would be better
not to include the window bar in screenshots since it is the way (a.k.a the
"most used way") to identify the environment (as in "OS" or "Window
Manager").

My 2 cts.

--
         Pierre Lecocq - http://qsdfgh.com

* Re: What would be the best screenshot of Emacs for the homepage?
@ 2015-12-11 21:32       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2015-12-11 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Lecocq; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, Yuri Khan, emacs-devel

Pierre Lecocq <pierre.lecocq@gmail.com> writes:

>> - I want to promote the GNOME enviromnent over Windows/OS X
>
> Wouldn't it be better not to promote any enviromnent (as in "OS" or "Window
> Manager")?

Uhm, no?

> I understand the idea to promote a FOSS enviromnent vs a proprietary
> one,

A free environment.

> but as GNU/Emacs is supported by such a wide variety of plateforms
> (GNOME is not the default/recommended/usable WM on every ones),

GNOME is not a window manager.

> it would be better not to include the window bar in screenshots since
> it is the way (a.k.a the "most used way") to identify the environment
> (as in "OS" or "Window Manager").

So?  For one thing, the font rendering will equally well identify a
platform.  For another, why _wouldn't_ GNU Emacs promote GNU
environments (GNUstep would be another candidate but it is less
frequently used)?  Other platforms are secondary considerations.  Why
shouldn't the first priority of a GNU component be GNU?

--
David Kastrup

* Re: What would be the best screenshot of Emacs for the homepage?
@ 2015-12-11 22:35       ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2015-12-11 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2015-12-11, Pierre Lecocq <pierre.lecocq@gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand the idea to promote a FOSS enviromnent vs a proprietary one,
> but as GNU/Emacs is supported by such a wide variety of plateforms (GNOME
> is not the default/recommended/usable WM on every ones), it would be better
> not to include the window bar in screenshots since it is the way (a.k.a the
> "most used way") to identify the environment (as in "OS" or "Window
> Manager").

Except it is very unusual for a program running in a graphical
environment to not have *any* titlebar, and would look like a
deficiency in Emacs.  Using a "basic" one (i.e. twm, aewm, etc,
maybe even windowmaker or fvwm) would make the website look
unpolished.

Using e.g. GNOME for the screenshots serves the same purpose as
the fact that GNOME itself has default themes with high-color
icons and gradients - it signals that it is part of a modern,
user-friendly system.

I think the "lowest" type of window frame that should be
considered is WindowMaker, with a theme that actually has
gradients rather than flat colors.

* Re: What would be the best screenshot of Emacs for the homepage?
@ 2015-12-11 23:21         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-12-11 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel, Pierre Lecocq, Yuri Khan

On 2015-12-11, at 22:32, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

>> I understand the idea to promote a FOSS enviromnent vs a proprietary
>> one,
>
> A free environment.

Isn't GNOME also open source?  I thought "FOSS" means the conjunction of
both.

>> it would be better not to include the window bar in screenshots since
>> it is the way (a.k.a the "most used way") to identify the environment
>> (as in "OS" or "Window Manager").
>
> So?  For one thing, the font rendering will equally well identify a
> platform.  For another, why _wouldn't_ GNU Emacs promote GNU
> environments (GNUstep would be another candidate but it is less
> frequently used)?  Other platforms are secondary considerations.  Why
> shouldn't the first priority of a GNU component be GNU?

Also, the kind of user who might identify the environment as
a non-Windows one is probably the kind who uses GNU/Linux anyway.  (I
would assume that most Windows users either woulnd't notice, or would
think that it is kind of a customized theme or something.  I don't know
about MacOS users; they are a rare phenomenon, since MacOS is rather an
exotic choice.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: What would be the best screenshot of Emacs for the homepage?
@ 2015-12-11 23:47     ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-12-11 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel, Yuri Khan

On 11 Dec 2015 1:23 pm, "Nicolas Petton" <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:

> >> So I'm now looking for the best screenshot to be used on the homepage!
> >> Ideas welcome, with the following constraints:

I think it should feature a recognisable language that emacs handles well.
I don't know which would be best (html, c, ruby?).

The image should show font locking, and we could also split the frame into
two side by side windows (css + html maybe?). But we don't need to show
much more feature than that.

* Re: What would be the best screenshot of Emacs for the homepage?
@ 2015-12-12  0:26       ` daniel sutton
From: daniel sutton @ 2015-12-12  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, Yuri Khan, emacs-devel

All of this sounds like a gallery. Be better to showed emacs themed out,
stock, plugins, in different environments, operating systems. Show that it
is flexible. If i saw stock emacs, I might not have been enticed. So
perhaps showing what it looks like and then what it can look like would be
the best way forward?

@ 2015-12-12  5:03           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-12  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: yuri.v.khan, nicolas, dak, pierre.lecocq, emacs-devel

  > >> I understand the idea to promote a FOSS enviromnent vs a proprietary
  > >> one,
  > >
  > > A free environment.

  > Isn't GNOME also open source?  I thought "FOSS" means the conjunction of
  > both.

I should explain that "free software" and "open source" are the names
of two very different ideas.

The free software movement is a campaign for users' freedom.  The open
source non-movement was founded later as a reaction, to bury and hide
our ethical ideals.

See http://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
for more explanation of the difference between free software and open
source.  See also http://thebaffler.com/past/the_meme_hustler for
Evgeny Morozov's article on the same point.

The term "FOSS" purports to cite both of these camps without taking a
side.  In practice, it is not really neutral, since it makes "open
source" more visible than "free software".

By contrast, "FLOSS" really succeeds in being neutral.
See http://gnu.org/philosophy/floss-and-foss.html.

However, we don't want to be neutral.  GNU is a project of the free
software movement.  We want to give the free software movement clear
and strong support; we don't support the open source non-movement.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-12  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: nicolas, emacs-devel, pierre.lecocq, yuri.v.khan

  > So?  For one thing, the font rendering will equally well identify a
  > platform.  For another, why _wouldn't_ GNU Emacs promote GNU
  > environments (GNUstep would be another candidate but it is less
  > frequently used)?  Other platforms are secondary considerations.  Why
  > shouldn't the first priority of a GNU component be GNU?

That's a good point.  Every GNU package should promote the GNU system
itself.

We are glad to support running GNU packages on other systems, but the
purpose of these packages is to make the GNU operating system (which
they are components of) better.

--
Dr Richard Stallman