Most version control sites like gitlab/github highlight syntax in code snippets inside diff hunks, for example: https://github.com/magit/magit/pull/2834/commits/95cacde4fcccc95c25d6fb9988d2aa097193f8c0 This is very helpful when looking at code changes. I missed this feature in Emacs for a long time. This is why I asked a question about a possible implementation in https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/43957/syntactic-fontification-of-diff-hunks but no one had an answer. Then I realized that much simpler would be just to use the same approach implemented by diff-mode refinement, i.e. to take each diff hunk one by one, and like the diff refinement highlights more fine-grained changes, do the same for syntax highlighting according to the language in compared files/commits. You can see the result at the following screenshot: