* Status uf NS port?
@ 2023-03-25 17:42 Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2023-03-25 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

Since we have upgraded EMBA to Debian bullseye, the NS port tests
fail. See bug#62210.

Alan Third, who has worked on this in the past, has stopped his
activities. Is there somebody else who cares now?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Status uf NS port?
@ 2023-03-27 17:03 ` chad
From: chad @ 2023-03-27 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

(I bcc'd Alan; apologies if the intrusion is unwelcome, and thanks again
for all the work you have done already.)

On Sat, Mar 25, 2023 at 1:43 PM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Since we have upgraded EMBA to Debian bullseye, the NS port tests
> fail. See bug#62210.
>
> Alan Third, who has worked on this in the past, has stopped his
> activities. Is there somebody else who cares now?

Since a couple days have passed...

I no longer have a macOS machine (not one where I can reasonably try out
OpenStep regularly), but there seem to be a lot of macOS+ns-port users out
there, especially on the emacs subreddit. If someone could point to/put
together a description of what's involved, I (or someone else) could post
to that subreddit and try to recruit someone who's in a good position to
help.

Thanks,
~Chad

* Re: Status uf NS port?
@ 2023-03-28  7:22   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2023-03-28  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: emacs-devel

chad <yandros@gmail.com> writes:

Hy Chad,

> I no longer have a macOS machine (not one where I can reasonably try
> out OpenStep regularly), but there seem to be a lot of macOS+ns-port
> users out there, especially on the emacs subreddit. If someone could
> point to/put together a description of what's involved, I (or someone
> else) could post to that subreddit and try to recruit someone who's in
> a good position to help.

Thanks for the reply. If somebody wants to place such a question on
reddit it would be fine, I'll try everything what's proposed (and what
sounds meaningful).

Po Lu has also entered the discussion and makes proposals. See bug#62210.

> Thanks,
> ~Chad

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Status uf NS port?
@ 2023-04-03 21:18   ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2023-04-03 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: Michael Albinus, emacs-devel

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 01:03:23PM -0400, chad wrote:
> (I bcc'd Alan; apologies if the intrusion is unwelcome, and thanks again
> for all the work you have done already.)
>
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2023 at 1:43 PM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Since we have upgraded EMBA to Debian bullseye, the NS port tests
> > fail. See bug#62210.
> >
> > Alan Third, who has worked on this in the past, has stopped his
> > activities. Is there somebody else who cares now?
> >

> Since a couple days have passed...
>
> I no longer have a macOS machine (not one where I can reasonably try out
> OpenStep regularly), but there seem to be a lot of macOS+ns-port users out
> there, especially on the emacs subreddit. If someone could point to/put
> together a description of what's involved, I (or someone else) could post
> to that subreddit and try to recruit someone who's in a good position to
> help.

I never managed to work out how to build against gnustep with GCC.
Clang worked absolutely fine.

FWIW, gnustep != macOS. Gnustep has very few users, and in all the
years the gnustep port of Emacs was entirely broken we didn't receive
a single bug report about it. Except maybe from Martin, but he was
only using it as a test bed.
--
Alan Third

* Re: Status uf NS port?
@ 2023-04-04 11:05     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2023-04-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: chad, emacs-devel, 62210

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

Hi Alan,

> I never managed to work out how to build against gnustep with GCC.
> Clang worked absolutely fine.
>
> FWIW, gnustep != macOS. Gnustep has very few users, and in all the
> years the gnustep port of Emacs was entirely broken we didn't receive
> a single bug report about it. Except maybe from Martin, but he was
> only using it as a test bed.

Thanks for the feedback. I've commented out the GNUSTEP jobs on EMBA
(again), until somebody provides running build instructions.

Best regards, Michael.