Eli Zaretskii writes: >> Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 13:29:33 -0700 >> From: Ilya Zakharevich >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org >> >> On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 01:32:11PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> > > Without profiling, how to find out “how much overhead is tolerable to >> > > the user”?! >> > >> > Since you say the change you propose speeds up by a factor of 5, just >> > setting N = 5 should do approximately the same, no? I'd actually go >> > with N = 10 for a good measure. >> >> Nope. My solution decreases THE OVERHEAD 50 times. This SPEEDS UP >> the whole brouhaha ∼5x (since the overhead was 4x). > > OK, then N = 50 should do the same trick. Wouldn’t that then show too few messages for small buffers? I quite like the logarithmic message showing, because it ensures that the user is informed of progress while avoiding a constant spew of messages. The only thing I worry about is that there may at some point be too few messages, so a maximum might be useful to ensure that there is some progress notification at least once every few seconds. Otherwise users could think that it stalled. Best wishes, Arne -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein, ohne es zu merken. draketo.de