Hi Drew! Please, do not remove me from the list of Cc as I don't scrupulously read Emacs Devel usually. "Drew Adams" writes: >> + ;; If DOC starts with a `*' remove it. >> + (when (eq (aref doc 0) ?*) >> + (setq doc (substring doc 1))) >> >> might be ok, but I am not sure it is really right -- it seems >> like a hard question. So I would rather leave this alone, for now. > > Yes. Here is a doc string I have, for instance. > > "**Completions* window is removed if fewer chars than this are input." I don't see your point. Maybe this has been discussed with Juanma, but what's the harm removing the first * ? > Why not just leave any extra `*' there? Because it's confusing and somewhat useless for the user. >> Again, it is with the previous patch. With it, not only « You can >> customize the variable » can appear, but also « You can change at user >> level the variable », which means that you can M-x set-var this var. > > If that's what you mean, then that's what should be said: "You can use > command `set-variable' to change the value". This is confusing: "change at > user level". > "You can change at user level" doesn't teach anything. It says less (because > it is confusing) than just "You can change this variable" (with a link on > "change"). « You can change this variable » can lead the user to think that the only variables s?he can change are those ones, whereas `setq' can change nearly everything. But I do agree that « at user level » is confusing. What about « You can change this variable using `set-variable' » with a link on « change » ? It would show up as: ,----[ C-h v show-paren-highlight-openparen RET ] | show-paren-highlight-openparen is a variable defined in `paren.el'. | Its value is t | | | Documentation: | Non-nil turns on openparen highlighting when matching forward. | | You can change this variable using `set-variable'. `---- -- | Michaėl `Micha' Cadilhac | «Tu aimeras ton prochain.» | | Epita/LRDE Promo 2007 | D'abord, Dieu ou pas, | | http://michael.cadilhac.name | j'ai horreur qu'on me tutoie. | `--JID: michael.cadilhac@gmail.com--' -- P. Desproges - --'