* Font names in emacs-unicode-2 not recognized any more
@ 2008-01-30 15:00 Herbert Euler
From: Herbert Euler @ 2008-01-30 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

After updating the source code of the emacs-unicode-2 branch, I get an
error with my previously working configuration file.  I have the
following in my configuration file (~/.emacs):

(set-default-font "FreeMono-17")

But the new Emacs signals an error:

$ emacs --debug-init

error--> (some text has been deleted)

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Font `FreeMono-17' is not defined")
  modify-frame-parameters(# ((font . "FreeMono-17")))
  set-default-font("FreeMono-17")
  (cond ((eq window-system ...) (setq printer-name ... ...)))
  ... ...
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

Where "FreeMono-17" was previously recognized.  Are there any
incompatible changes happened such that I am having to update my
configuration files?  Thanks.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

* Re: Font names in emacs-unicode-2 not recognized any more
@ 2008-01-30 17:03 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-01-30 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Euler; +Cc: emacs-devel

Herbert Euler <herberteuler@hotmail.com> writes:
> After updating the source code of the emacs-unicode-2 branch, I get an
> error with my previously working configuration file.  I have the
> following in my configuration file (~/.emacs):

Some macros in configure.in were changed, so it seems that probably some
font-related configuration setting is not properly being done anymore.

-Miles

--
It wasn't the Exxon Valdez captain's driving that caused the Alaskan oil spill.
It was yours.  [Greenpeace advertisement, New York Times, 25 February 1990]

* Re: Font names in emacs-unicode-2 not recognized any more
@ 2008-01-30 18:00   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-01-30 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Euler; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
>> After updating the source code of the emacs-unicode-2 branch, I get an
>> error with my previously working configuration file.  I have the
>> following in my configuration file (~/.emacs):
>
> Some macros in configure.in were changed, so it seems that probably some
> font-related configuration setting is not properly being done anymore.

Looking at it, it seems that probably these lines (which I added, so I
probably did wrong) in "configure.in":

   OPTION_DEFAULT_OFF([freetype],[use -lfreetype for local fonts support])
   OPTION_DEFAULT_OFF([xft],[use -lXft for anti aliased fonts])

Should probably be "default on" instead, e.g.:

   OPTION_DEFAULT_ON([freetype],[don't use freetype for local font support])
   OPTION_DEFAULT_ON([xft],[don't use xft for anti aliased fonts])

Can you try making that change, and see it works for you?

[Remember to re-generate the configure script first using autoconf
(i.e., just type "autoconf"); the Makefile should take care of
re-running the configure script I think.]

Thanks,

-Miles

--
We have met the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo

* Re: Font names in emacs-unicode-2 not recognized any more
@ 2008-01-30 19:06     ` Tom Rauchenwald
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2008-01-30 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Herbert Euler, emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
>>> After updating the source code of the emacs-unicode-2 branch, I get an
>>> error with my previously working configuration file.  I have the
>>> following in my configuration file (~/.emacs):
>>
>> Some macros in configure.in were changed, so it seems that probably some
>> font-related configuration setting is not properly being done anymore.
>
> Looking at it, it seems that probably these lines (which I added, so I
> probably did wrong) in "configure.in":
>
>    OPTION_DEFAULT_OFF([freetype],[use -lfreetype for local fonts support])
>    OPTION_DEFAULT_OFF([xft],[use -lXft for anti aliased fonts])
>
> Should probably be "default on" instead, e.g.:
>
>    OPTION_DEFAULT_ON([freetype],[don't use freetype for local font support])
>    OPTION_DEFAULT_ON([xft],[don't use xft for anti aliased fonts])
>
> Can you try making that change, and see it works for you?
>
> [Remember to re-generate the configure script first using autoconf
> (i.e., just type "autoconf"); the Makefile should take care of
> re-running the configure script I think.]

That fixed it for me, thanks.

> Thanks,
>
> -Miles

Tom

* Re: Font names in emacs-unicode-2 not recognized any more
@ 2008-01-30 22:15       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-01-30 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rauchenwald; +Cc: Herbert Euler, emacs-devel

Tom Rauchenwald <sehnsucht.nach.unendlichkeit@quantentunnel.de> writes:
>>    OPTION_DEFAULT_ON([freetype],[don't use freetype for local font support])
>>    OPTION_DEFAULT_ON([xft],[don't use xft for anti aliased fonts])
>
> That fixed it for me, thanks.

Cool, thanks for testing.  I've made that change to the unicode branch.

-Miles

--
Success, n. The one unpardonable sin against one's fellows.

* RE: Font names in emacs-unicode-2 not recognized any more
@ 2008-01-31  0:18     ` Herbert Euler
From: Herbert Euler @ 2008-01-31  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Should probably be "default on" instead, e.g.:
>
>    OPTION_DEFAULT_ON([freetype],[don't use freetype for local font support])
>    OPTION_DEFAULT_ON([xft],[don't use xft for anti aliased fonts])
>
> Can you try making that change, and see it works for you?

It works for me, thank you! :D

Btw, I'm sorry I did not provide the configure options I used, which
contains --with-xft.  However, I did not notice that there is the
option --with-freetype, building without that option resulted in such
an error.

@ 2008-01-31  1:22 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-01-31  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Euler; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <BAY143-W143B45669EB34CFF8480C9DA360@phx.gbl>, Herbert Euler <herberteuler@hotmail.com> writes:

> After updating the source code of the emacs-unicode-2 branch, I get an
> error with my previously working configuration file.  I have the
> following in my configuration file (~/.emacs):

> (set-default-font "FreeMono-17")

> But the new Emacs signals an error:

> $ emacs --debug-init

> error--> (some text has been deleted)

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Font `FreeMono-17' is not defined")

I can't reproduce it.  Do you enable font-backend?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: Font names in emacs-unicode-2 not recognized any more
@ 2008-01-31  1:40   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-01-31  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: Herbert Euler, emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@ni.aist.go.jp> writes:
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Font `FreeMono-17' is not defined")
>
> I can't reproduce it.  Do you enable font-backend?

It was due to a mistake I made in configure.in, but I've already fixed it.

-Miles

--
Would you like fries with that?