* Latest emacs master branch and message mode
@ 2010-09-06 12:09 Aneesh Kumar K.V
From: Aneesh Kumar K.V @ 2010-09-06 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

With the master branch currently a message compose and message reply
functionality is causing a vertical split of windows. Is there an option to
disable that. So that compose and reply feature doesn't cause a
vertical split and instead gives a full frame window ?

-aneesh

* Re: Latest emacs master branch and message mode
@ 2010-09-06 16:31 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2010-09-06 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aneesh Kumar K.V; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

 > With the master branch currently a message compose and message reply
 > functionality is causing a vertical split of windows. Is there an option to
 > disable that. So that compose and reply feature doesn't cause a
 > vertical split and instead gives a full frame window ?

A brute force approach is to set `pop-up-windows' to nil.

If that badly affects your editing habits you can try to customize
`same-window-buffer-names' (which includes *mail* here so I'm a bit
surprised that this doesn't work for you) or `same-window-regexps'
(which already contains an entry for info buffers here so you should be
able to create a new entry for *mail*<n> buffers along these lines).

If you want to have more precise control, you would have to tell me more
about your editing habits first.

martin

* Re: Latest emacs master branch and message mode
@ 2010-09-06 18:41   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-09-06 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Aneesh Kumar K.V,
	Emacs development discussions

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

>> With the master branch currently a message compose and message reply
>> functionality is causing a vertical split of windows. Is there an option to
>> disable that. So that compose and reply feature doesn't cause a
>> vertical split and instead gives a full frame window ?
>
> you can try to customize `same-window-buffer-names' (which includes
> *mail* here so I'm a bit surprised that this doesn't work for you)

This is because Lars recently changed message.el so that the buffer is
initially named *unsent mail*.  We can fix this by adding a line

;;;###autoload (add-hook 'same-window-buffer-names (purecopy "*unsent mail*"))

to sendmail.el.  I wonder, though, what other code this change will
break.

* Re: Latest emacs master branch and message mode
@ 2010-09-06 19:02     ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2010-09-06 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Aneesh Kumar K.V,
	Emacs development discussions

 >> you can try to customize `same-window-buffer-names' (which includes
 >> *mail* here so I'm a bit surprised that this doesn't work for you)
 >
 > This is because Lars recently changed message.el so that the buffer is
 > initially named *unsent mail*.

I was unaware of that change.

 > We can fix this by adding a line
 >
 > ;;;###autoload (add-hook 'same-window-buffer-names (purecopy "*unsent mail*"))
 >
 > to sendmail.el.  I wonder, though, what other code this change will
 > break.

Please do that.  I'm currently rewriting `display-buffer' in order to
get rid of these for good.  The call would then have to be coded like

(pop-to-buffer "*unsent mail*" 'same-window)

martin