Ted Zlatanov writes: > On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:04:29 +0000 phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk (Phillip Lord) wrote: > > PL> My thought, is what we need is a new GUI feature that I call > PL> "mini-window". Essentially, this would be like a current window (with > PL> all the features would expect -- point, buffer and so on). But it would > PL> differ from a current window in that: a) it would have no or few > PL> decorations -- no border, no scrollbars, no mode line and b) it's > PL> positioning would be wrt another window -- it would either be positioned > PL> at one of the cardinal positions of an existing window or it would be > PL> positioned wrt a marker or an overlay in an existing buffer. The latter > PL> would scroll with the main buffer, the former would be static. > > For the (a) piece, see > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/140353 (discussion of a > just-the-text Emacs frame) that got some good results in X. I think we are talking at cross-purposes. When I said "window" I mean "window-as-in-emacs" rather than "frame". What I was hoping to achieve was something like the attached. The help window is a mini-window embedded in the bottom left and tied to cancel-timer bit of the text. Phil