* default-fill-column is gone
@ 2018-01-17 11:11 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-01-17 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

I just upgraded to GNU emacs 27.

Now I admit that I package which is a bit hm old, feedmail.

Now feedmail uses default-fill-column which in 27 does not exist
any more. I found this entry in ChangeLog.3
2016-11-07  Mark Oteiza  <mvoteiza@udel.edu>  Remove obsolete
default-FOO variables  * etc/NEWS: Indicate the removed variables.
* lisp/emacs-lisp/edebug.el (edebug-outside-mark): Fix comment.  *
lisp/subr.el (default-mode-line-format, *
default-header-line-format): (default-fill-column,
default-cursor-type): (default-enable-multibyte-characters):
Remove obsolete declarations.

So there is no hint how to deal with this situation. Why couldn't
variables be kept or at least some solution to be offered to
guarantee backwards compatibility. For example which variables
substitute default-fill-column, I presume it is fill-column. Since
I use different emacs version but the same init file, for the
moment I will add

(cond ((>= emacs-major-version 27)
       (setq default-fill-column fill-column)))

below you find the error message

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable default-fill-column)
  eval(default-fill-column)
  custom-initialize-reset(feedmail-fill-to-cc-fill-column
  default-fill-column)
  custom-declare-variable(feedmail-fill-to-cc-fill-column
  default-fill-column "*Fill column used by feedmail-fill-to-cc."
  :group feedmail-headers :type integer)

Uwe Brauer

* Re: default-fill-column is gone
@ 2018-01-17 12:14 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-01-17 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> I just upgraded to GNU emacs 27.
>
> Now I admit that I package which is a bit hm old, feedmail.
>
> Now feedmail uses default-fill-column which in 27 does not exist any
> more. I found this entry in ChangeLog.3
> 2016-11-07  Mark Oteiza  <mvoteiza@udel.edu>  Remove obsolete
> default-FOO variables  * etc/NEWS: Indicate the removed variables. *
> lisp/emacs-lisp/edebug.el (edebug-outside-mark): Fix comment.  *
> lisp/subr.el (default-mode-line-format, * default-header-line-format):
> (default-fill-column, default-cursor-type):
> (default-enable-multibyte-characters): Remove obsolete declarations.
>
> So there is no hint how to deal with this situation. Why couldn't
> variables be kept or at least some solution to be offered to guarantee
> backwards compatibility. For example which variables substitute
> default-fill-column, I presume it is fill-column. Since I use
> different emacs version but the same init file, for the moment I will
> add

Those variables were marked obsolete in 23.2, which is 8 years ago.

Also, I guess this means you're not using the feedmail that ships with
Emacs, which uses fill-column instead of default-fill-column.

Robert

* Re: default-fill-column is gone
@ 2018-01-17 13:40   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-01-17 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

    > Those variables were marked obsolete in 23.2, which is 8
    > years ago.

Oops, but the entry I referred to was from 2016, anyhow.

    > Also, I guess this means you're not using the feedmail that
    > ships with Emacs, which uses fill-column instead of
    > default-fill-column.

Ah good to know, I will give this version then a try.

Thanks

Uwe

* Re: default-fill-column is gone
@ 2018-01-17 14:33     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-01-17 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>    > Those variables were marked obsolete in 23.2, which is 8
>    > years ago.
>
> Oops, but the entry I referred to was from 2016, anyhow.

That's when they were finally removed, yes.

>    > Also, I guess this means you're not using the feedmail that  >
> ships with Emacs, which uses fill-column instead of  >
> default-fill-column.
>
> Ah good to know, I will give this version then a try.

M-x list-load-path-shadows perhaps?

Robert