* load-file's default argument is not explicit
@ 2022-05-13 16:18 Andrea Monaco
From: Andrea Monaco @ 2022-05-13 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When I invoke load-file interactively and just press RET at the prompt,
it attempts to load the currently visited file.

The load-file manual page doesn't document that.  Perhaps more
importantly, the prompt doesn't state the default value inside square
brackets, unlike other commands.

Is this behavior intended?

Andrea Monaco

* Re: load-file's default argument is not explicit
@ 2022-05-13 17:10 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-13 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Monaco; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Andrea Monaco <andrea.monaco@autistici.org>
> Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 18:18:57 +0200
>

> When I invoke load-file interactively and just press RET at the prompt,
> it attempts to load the currently visited file.
>
> The load-file manual page doesn't document that.  Perhaps more
> importantly, the prompt doesn't state the default value inside square
> brackets, unlike other commands.
>
> Is this behavior intended?

It's just the usual behavior of any command that asks for a file name.

* Re: load-file's default argument is not explicit
@ 2022-05-14  8:33 Andrea Monaco
From: Andrea Monaco @ 2022-05-14  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > It's just the usual behavior of any command that asks for a file
  > name.

I understand.  But why doesn't the prompt state such default value
inside square brackets?  Also, the manual page for load-file could
explain that behavior, even if it applies for a whole category of
commands.

Andrea Monaco