From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
To: Stas Boukarev <notifications@github.com>
Cc: slime/slime <slime@noreply.github.com>,
	 slime/slime
	<reply+ABQTI46LPH7JB5RM3A63UJ6DZ4YQFEVBNHHH4YOTTE@reply.github.com>,
	Author <author@noreply.github.com>
Subject: Re: [slime/slime] Merge changes from ELPA (PR #809)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 10:12:50 +0000	[thread overview]

Stas Boukarev <notifications@github.com> writes:

> How does ELPA work that they a) can put random changes into their git
> b) can't remove them.

ELPA periodically mirrors upstream repositories, but the mirrors can
diverge.  This is intentional, as sometimes we would like to make
changes to the upstream, when they are not responsive or the code has
been abandoned.  In this case my understanding is that the commit on the
elpa/slime branch was pushed by accident.

I haven't tried it out, but I could imagine that force-pushing to the
branch could be possible, but that would require destructively modifying
the commit history of a public repository/branch, which one would like
to avoid -- hence the suggestion in the other pull request to reconcile
the conflict without making such drastic moves.

>                       Why should it be recommended to users if it's
> not reliable?

Do you mean ELPA by "it"?  I would hesitate to say that this is an
indication of unreliability in general, it is just an issue that needs
resolving.  Do you have any technical objections to the changes proposed
here that we could work out?