* Re: Re Re: Why not include all ELPA packages in an Emacs release?
@ 2024-05-29 16:31 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-05-29 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii
  Cc: arash, Stefan Kangas, jb, Stefan Monnier, Philip Kaludercic

>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > If there are packages on ELPA which we consider to be a must for users
>> > (I don't think there are, but maybe I'm forgetting something), lets
>> > add them to core instead.
>>
>> If Emacs considers in-buffer completion an important feature, then I'd
>> say corfu and cape are must.  vertico and marginalia are also must in my
>> book since they offer a better experience with vertical minibuffer
>> completion.

> If people want them, and their developers agree, we can add them.

<irony>At this point, why not company, which BTW works nicely both on
windows and -nw Emacs?</irony>
<seriously>For every package you think of integrating, there will be a lot
of people how use a different package for the functionality, so this spells
exchanges without end here and a lot of users frustrated in the world
outside the list </seriously>

>> And while we're at it: There are sometimes requests for adding AUCTeX to
>> core.  Do you have an opinion about that?
>
>I don't mind.  But let's hear what others think.

Well, AUCTeX was so feature-bloated that made me start using vanilla Emacs
and writing the things I really needed myself. So grateful it existed,
because it made my elisp evolve :-)

Now seriously, One of the nicest things in Emacs is the package repo(s).
I have the Emacs I want because we have use-package (and that is not so
long ago)
to make our lives (relatively) easy. And I dread to think what would happen
WTR to size of the distributable object (.app in macos, .rpm/.deb/.snap in
Linux,
etc.) if we start shipping everything in it.

My .2 cents
--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet