* Lispref on history-add-new-input
@ 2006-06-01  8:04 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-06-01  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

What about this change?

*** minibuf.texi	01 Jun 2006 00:18:51 +0200	1.84
--- minibuf.texi	01 Jun 2006 10:03:45 +0200
***************
*** 461,469 ****
  @end defun

  @defvar history-add-new-input
! The value of this variable @code{nil} means that standard functions
! that read from the minibuffer don't add new elements to the history
! list, so it is possible to do this explicitly by using @code{add-to-history}.
  @end defvar

  @defvar history-length
--- 461,470 ----
  @end defun

  @defvar history-add-new-input
! If the value of this variable is @code{nil}, standard functions that
! read from the minibuffer don't add new elements to the history list,
! allowing code to explicitly manage the history by using
! @code{add-to-history}.
  @end defvar

  @defvar history-length

* Re: Lispref on history-add-new-input
@ 2006-06-01 12:05 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2006-06-01 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> What about this change?

Looks good to me, except that I suggest instead of "allowing code to ..."
to use a more exact phrase "allowing Lisp code to ...".

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: Lispref on history-add-new-input
@ 2006-06-02  3:13 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-02  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

      @defvar history-add-new-input
    ! If the value of this variable is @code{nil}, standard functions that
    ! read from the minibuffer don't add new elements to the history list,

It would be clearer to break the sentence here.

@ 2006-06-02  9:29   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2006-06-02  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, storm

>       @defvar history-add-new-input
>     ! If the value of this variable is @code{nil}, standard functions that
>     ! read from the minibuffer don't add new elements to the history list,
>
> It would be clearer to break the sentence here.
>
>     ! allowing code to explicitly manage the history by using
>     ! @code{add-to-history}.

The main purpose of this variable was to allow Lisp code to use
add-to-history after reading an input.  In the Info documentation
the description of this variable goes just after the description
of add-to-history, so there could be some text that connects these two.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: Lispref on history-add-new-input
@ 2006-06-02 10:49     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-02 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>
> Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:29:32 +0300
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, storm@cua.dk
>
> >       @defvar history-add-new-input
> >     ! If the value of this variable is @code{nil}, standard functions that
> >     ! read from the minibuffer don't add new elements to the history list,
> >
> > It would be clearer to break the sentence here.
> >
> >     ! allowing code to explicitly manage the history by using
> >     ! @code{add-to-history}.
>
> The main purpose of this variable was to allow Lisp code to use
> add-to-history after reading an input.  In the Info documentation
> the description of this variable goes just after the description
> of add-to-history, so there could be some text that connects these two.

This might be a misunderstanding.  Perhaps Richard wasn't suggesting
to remove that part, but instead rephrase like this:

     @defvar history-add-new-input
     If the value of this variable is @code{nil}, standard functions that
     read from the minibuffer don't add new elements to the history list.
     This lets Lisp programs explicitly manage input history by using
     @code{add-to-history}.

* Re: Lispref on history-add-new-input
@ 2006-06-02 22:40       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-02 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: juri, emacs-devel

    > > It would be clearer to break the sentence here.
    > >
    > >     ! allowing code to explicitly manage the history by using
    > >     ! @code{add-to-history}.
    >
    > The main purpose of this variable was to allow Lisp code to use
    > add-to-history after reading an input.  In the Info documentation
    > the description of this variable goes just after the description
    > of add-to-history, so there could be some text that connects these two.

    This might be a misunderstanding.  Perhaps Richard wasn't suggesting
    to remove that part, but instead rephrase like this:

Eli is right.  To "break the sentence" does not imply removing the
rest.  It means "put the end of a sentence here".

Eli, how about if you make your change?

* Re: Lispref on history-add-new-input
@ 2006-06-03  8:28         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-03  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)