Here is a description of the differences I see: - In the post-merge image, the underlining I use in the mode line is broken, as is the underlining of the current article in the Gnus Summary buffer, and the latter underlining touches the bottom of the characters in the post-merge image, while there is a (IMO more pleasing) space in the pre-merge display. - The fringe arrow in the Summary buffer is redisplayed in the mode line. - The character size in the mode line is larger in the post-merge image than in the pre-merge image (in both it is font family Helvetica). - The appearance of the non-ascii characters I use for threading and separation in the Summary buffer differs; in particular, the separator forms a broken vertical line in the post-merge buffer, while it is a continuous vertical line in the pre-merge buffer (except for the line containing the Indic characters, which is also misaligned in both images). Steve Berman