From: Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>
To: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
Subject: Re: undefined reference to ftfont_variation_glyphs
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:37:33 +0100	[thread overview]

> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Since a few days I cannot build CVS emacs 23 on debian.
>>
>> ftfont.o:(.data+0x68): undefined reference to `ftfont_variation_glyphs'
>
> That's strange---I don't have libotf either, and I do not see this
> problem.  Could you roll back a few revisions and check which checkin
> caused the breakage on your side?

I _have_ libotf (see below).

That's the problem I believe. If one has libotf, the function is
declared and used, but never defined. The function definition is
enclosed by additional #ifdefs.

I'm afraid I won't be of great help here, since my my knowledge of
emacs' code tends to zero.

> problem.  Could you roll back a few revisions and check which checkin
> caused the breakage on your side?

The last time I could build emacs was 13. March 2009. But I don't update
on regular basis, just once or twice a week. So this will take some time
to find out, but I'll try.

This is the conclusion of ./configure in a fresh checked out emacs
directory (which shows that libotf was found):

Configured for `i686-pc-linux-gnu'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?    /home/sebastian/develop/emacs-CVS/emacs
  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/intel386.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          GTK
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating lib-src/Makefile.c
config.status: creating oldXMenu/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/emacs/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/misc/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/lispintro/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/lispref/Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile.c
config.status: creating lwlib/Makefile
config.status: creating lisp/Makefile
config.status: creating leim/Makefile
config.status: creating src/config.h
config.status: executing default commands
creating src/epaths.h
creating lib-src/Makefile
creating src/Makefile

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472