* No Gnus loads APEL when compiling with XEmacs
@ 2010-04-27  6:42 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-04-27  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: xemacs-beta, emacs-devel

Hi,

I've made a change in gnus-util.el so as not to load the APEL
XEmacs package when building No Gnus for XEmacs.  APEL provides
some functions and variables for emulating Emacs.  For instance,
the emulating function `set-buffer-multibyte' was provided by
poem-xm.el in the following way when `dgnushack-compile' loads
`mh-e':

dgnushack.el: (require 'mh-e)
  mh-e.el: (require 'gnus-util)
    gnus-util.el: (require 'rmail)
      rmail.el: (require 'tm-view)
        tm-view.el: (require 'tl-str)
          tl-str.el: (require 'emu)
            emu.el: (require 'poem)
              poem.el: (require 'poem-xm)

And it used to hide warnings against such emulating ones that
might not be available when running Gnus normally.

Now you will see many warnings when building No Gnus for XEmacs.
Some are just warnings but others are serious.  For example, now
we can see that `binhex-decode-region-internal',
`dns-read-string-name', `gnus-article-browse-html-parts',
`gnus-read-ephemeral-gmane-group', `yenc-decode-region',
etc. will not work for XEmacs unless a user loads poem.el.
I'd like to fix them one by one hereafter.

Regards,

* No Gnus loads APEL when compiling with XEmacs
@ 2010-04-28  6:44 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2010-04-28  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel, xemacs-beta

Katsumi Yamaoka writes:

 > I've made a change in gnus-util.el so as not to load the APEL
 > XEmacs package when building No Gnus for XEmacs.

Thank you!

APEL was a good idea at the time, but its design is incompatible with
the way XEmacs packages are distributed, because the compatibility
hacks are inlined at compile time.

* Re: No Gnus loads APEL when compiling with XEmacs
@ 2010-05-07  7:35   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-05-07  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: xemacs-beta, ding, emacs-devel

> Katsumi Yamaoka writes:

>> I've made a change in gnus-util.el so as not to load the APEL
>> XEmacs package when building No Gnus for XEmacs.

> Thank you!

> APEL was a good idea at the time, but its design is incompatible with
> the way XEmacs packages are distributed, because the compatibility
> hacks are inlined at compile time.

You're welcome.  I've installed the fixes.  Now Gnus should work
w/ XEmacs w/o APEL (hopefully ;-).