* Re: [elpa] branch externals/auctex updated (8a181ee -> a54b985)
       [not found] <20141101064856.5840.32625@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2014-11-01 13:01 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-01 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> tsdh pushed a change to branch externals/auctex
> in repository elpa.

>       from  8a181ee   release 11.87.7
>        new  a54b985   Update to AUCTeX 11.88

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Why on earth did you not "git merge" from AUCTeX's repository?

* Re: [elpa] branch externals/auctex updated (8a181ee -> a54b985)
@ 2014-11-01 13:48   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-11-01 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> tsdh pushed a change to branch externals/auctex
>> in repository elpa.
>
>>       from  8a181ee   release 11.87.7
>>        new  a54b985   Update to AUCTeX 11.88
>
> NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Why on earth did you not "git merge" from AUCTeX's repository?

I didn't even know I could!?!  I still lived under the impression that
the ELPA auctex repo and the main AUCTeX repo are still completely
separate.  Sorry, sorry, sorry.

Uh, but well, we're currently having a patch in the TODO queue that puts
everything what's in the auctex preview subdirectory into top-level so
that we then have the very same structure at both ends.  And then I
wanted to ask you if we could arrange it that ELPA auctex and main
auctex (where we probably need to put some generated files under VCS
that can't be generated on ELPA) are actually the very same thing.  So
from your reaction, it seems that this has already been the case...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: [elpa] branch externals/auctex updated (8a181ee -> a54b985)
@ 2014-11-02  1:11     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-02  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Uh, but well, we're currently having a patch in the TODO queue that puts
> everything what's in the auctex preview subdirectory into top-level so
> that we then have the very same structure at both ends.

That would be great, yes.

> And then I wanted to ask you if we could arrange it that ELPA auctex
> and main auctex (where we probably need to put some generated files
> under VCS that can't be generated on ELPA) are actually the very same
> thing.

That would be great.  Last time this was discussed it seemed that some
differences were difficult to remove (such as the auto-generated files).

> So from your reaction, it seems that this has already been the case...

No, what we had before your commit is that the elpa.git code had the
metadata in order so that you could "git merge" from the upstream AUCTeX
code, with potentially some merge problems to solve since some files
have different names.

I've just reverted your patch.

* Re: [elpa] branch externals/auctex updated (8a181ee -> a54b985)
@ 2014-11-02 19:19       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-11-02 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> And then I wanted to ask you if we could arrange it that ELPA auctex
>> and main auctex (where we probably need to put some generated files
>> under VCS that can't be generated on ELPA) are actually the very same
>> thing.
>
> That would be great.  Last time this was discussed it seemed that some
> differences were difficult to remove (such as the auto-generated
> files).

I much prefer to have some generated files under version control if that
makes merging easier.

>> So from your reaction, it seems that this has already been the
>> case...
>
> No, what we had before your commit is that the elpa.git code had the
> metadata in order so that you could "git merge" from the upstream
> AUCTeX code, with potentially some merge problems to solve since some
> files have different names.
>
> I've just reverted your patch.

Ok, and thanks for doing the merge!

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: [elpa] branch externals/auctex updated (8a181ee -> a54b985)
@ 2014-11-03  2:41         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-03  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Ok, and thanks for doing the merge!

I don't myself use AUCTeX, so my testing was rather limited.
Hopefully, I haven't messed up anything.