unofficial mirror of emacs-devel@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* tramp: recovering from a dead connection
@ 2021-11-25 10:01 Yuri D'Elia
  2021-11-25 11:53 ` Michael Albinus
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2021-11-25 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Using tramp on the current master has some issues when it comes down to
flaky links.

I was editing a couple of buffers through the scp transport. Link died,
so the ssh process terminated. I just wanted to kill the buffers.
Everything I do seems to fail..

Tramp: Opening connection nil for remote_host using scp...failed
File error: Couldn't find command to check if file exists
tramp-error: Couldn't find command to check if file exists
Tramp: Opening connection nil for remote_host using scp...failed
Tramp: Opening connection nil for remote_host using scp...failed
Tramp: Opening connection nil for remote_host using scp...failed
Tramp: Opening connection nil for remote_host using scp...failed
Tramp: ‘getconf PATH’ not successful, using default value "/bin:/usr/bin".
Tramp: Opening connection nil for remote_host using scp...failed
File error: Couldn't find command to check if file exists
tramp-error: Couldn't find command to check if file exists

I tried first tramp-cleanup-this-connection, then all-connections,
however all I got is to get even more stuck. M-x doesn't even bring the
minibuffer prompt anymore when run within the stuck buffer.

I could use C-x C-b to get into a buffer list, however that also
only contains a single line: "ssh: could not connect to ...".
Fortunately, from there M-x works. But I still cannot terminate those
buffers.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: tramp: recovering from a dead connection
  2021-11-25 10:01 tramp: recovering from a dead connection Yuri D'Elia
@ 2021-11-25 11:53 ` Michael Albinus
  2021-11-25 12:05   ` Yuri D'Elia
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Michael Albinus @ 2021-11-25 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri D'Elia; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org> writes:

Hi Yuri,

> Using tramp on the current master has some issues when it comes down to
> flaky links.

Have you tried "M-x tramp-rename-files" or "M-x tramp-rename-these-files"?
Both commands are intended for such situations.

See also the Tramp manual, (info "(tramp) Renaming remote files")

Best regards, Michael.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: tramp: recovering from a dead connection
  2021-11-25 11:53 ` Michael Albinus
@ 2021-11-25 12:05   ` Yuri D'Elia
  2021-11-25 14:29     ` Michael Albinus
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2021-11-25 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Nov 25 2021, Michael Albinus wrote:
>> Using tramp on the current master has some issues when it comes down to
>> flaky links.
>
> Have you tried "M-x tramp-rename-files" or "M-x tramp-rename-these-files"?
> Both commands are intended for such situations.
>
> See also the Tramp manual, (info "(tramp) Renaming remote files")

Just pressing M-x kept generating tramp errors. Not sure why, but I'm
using amx, maybe that's related.

Also, my intention was to kill the buffers. That is, I wanted to discard
the local copy and forget about it.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: tramp: recovering from a dead connection
  2021-11-25 12:05   ` Yuri D'Elia
@ 2021-11-25 14:29     ` Michael Albinus
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Michael Albinus @ 2021-11-25 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri D'Elia; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org> writes:

Hi Yuri,

> On Thu, Nov 25 2021, Michael Albinus wrote:
>>> Using tramp on the current master has some issues when it comes down to
>>> flaky links.
>>
>> Have you tried "M-x tramp-rename-files" or "M-x tramp-rename-these-files"?
>> Both commands are intended for such situations.
>>
>> See also the Tramp manual, (info "(tramp) Renaming remote files")
>
> Just pressing M-x kept generating tramp errors. Not sure why, but I'm
> using amx, maybe that's related.
>
> Also, my intention was to kill the buffers. That is, I wanted to discard
> the local copy and forget about it.

Then, the best catch is "M-x tramp-cleanup-all-buffers". Preferred from
a buffer with a local default-directory.

If this doesn't work, pls set debug-on-error to t, and show the backtrace.

Best regards, Michael.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-11-25 14:29 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-11-25 10:01 tramp: recovering from a dead connection Yuri D'Elia
2021-11-25 11:53 ` Michael Albinus
2021-11-25 12:05   ` Yuri D'Elia
2021-11-25 14:29     ` Michael Albinus

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).