* Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-22 17:43 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-06-22 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In a thread on emacs-devel
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01/msg00335.html
Lars et al were discussing getting touchpad events from touchegg.

Lars, did that finally work for you, and if yes, could you share your
touchegg.conf file?
Also any elisp side bindings you did to get things would help too.

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-23  0:46 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-23  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> In a thread on emacs-devel
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01/msg00335.html
> Lars et al were discussing getting touchpad events from touchegg.
>
> Lars, did that finally work for you, and if yes, could you share your
> touchegg.conf file?
> Also any elisp side bindings you did to get things would help too.

I'm going to guess that those tools are obsolete, since Emacs 29 already
has native support for touchpad gestures and multi-touch events.

They probably will not work with programs using the X input extension
either (once again, Emacs 29.)

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-23  2:41   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-06-23  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 320 bytes --]

Hadn't realized emacs 29 already had touch interaction builtin; note ---
am running under X/StumpWM, not wayland.

What is the magic for binding tuch gestures in emacs 29 and what do I
need to do to enable them?

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-23  3:10     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-23  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Hadn't realized emacs 29 already had touch interaction builtin; note ---
> am running under X/StumpWM, not wayland.
>
> What is the magic for binding tuch gestures in emacs 29 and what do I
> need to do to enable them?

Binding them is easy (look in the Lisp manual for "pinch" and "wheel"
events), but you need version 21.1.0 of the X.Org server or later, and
xf86-input-libinput.

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-23  7:57 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-06-23  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Lars, did that finally work for you, and if yes, could you share your
> touchegg.conf file?
> Also any elisp side bindings you did to get things would help too.

I no longer use this, but I apparently ended up with the thing below.
It just uses touchegg to map some gestures to key strokes, and then I
bind them as usual in Emacs.

<touchégg>

 <settings>
 <property name="composed_gestures_time">0</property>
 </settings>

 <application name="Emacs">

 <gesture type="TAP" fingers="2" direction="">
 <action type="SEND_KEYS">space</action>
 </gesture>

 <gesture type="TAP" fingers="3" direction="">
 <action type="SEND_KEYS">p</action>
 </gesture>

 <gesture type="DRAG" fingers="2" direction="UP">
 <action type="SEND_KEYS">Control+v</action>
 </gesture>

 <gesture type="DRAG" fingers="2" direction="DOWN">
 <action type="SEND_KEYS">Alt+v</action>
 </gesture>
 </application>

</touchégg>

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-23 13:48       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-06-23 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 498 bytes --]

I see.

Note that I'm not running a pgtk build or wayland anytime soon.
My suggestion would be to make the new pinch etc done in Emacs 29
specific to the pgtk build and since the pgtk build does not work on
traditional X, we keep the erlier bits working for at least one more
version.

It will also give us time to experiment with more gestures as enabled by
things like touchegg.

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-23 13:50   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-06-23 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 395 bytes --]

Thanks Lars!

See the other response in this thread from the maintainer of the pgtk
branch who asserts that touchegg will not work at all with emacs-29 an
that is also my present experience; touchegg receives and fires the
mapped events for Emacs but Emacs doesn't get any of them.

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-23 21:35         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-06-23 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: Po Lu, emacs-devel

> Note that I'm not running a pgtk build or wayland anytime soon.

I don't think Po Lu is talking about the PGTK port but about the good
old X11 version of Emacs talking to a new enough X11 server and compiled
with a new enough `xf86-input-libinput`.

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-23 21:59           ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-06-23 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: raman, luangruo, emacs-devel

Interesting.

Here is what I discovered next:

Start touchegg as a daemon via systemctl -- it starts happily and runs
but doesn't deliver events to emacs.

With that daemon running, start toucheg (as a client) from a shell in
emacs, it connects to the daemon, and magically emacs gets touchpad
events. So now I can scroll a buffer with a three-finger up/down swipe
-- not that is in itself much of a win.

The above i.e. run a touchegg client is not documented anywhere so I
suspect this may be a result of my running stumpwm perhaps.

Incidentally I looked through the emacs-29 touch code and it
essentially does not work for me on my laptop's touchpad; the only
event I can get emacs to see in that case (with no touchegg running)
is the touch-end event sporadically showing up. Pinch etc dont appear
to work.

@ 2022-06-24  1:20         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-24  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Note that I'm not running a pgtk build or wayland anytime soon.
> My suggestion would be to make the new pinch etc done in Emacs 29
> specific to the pgtk build and since the pgtk build does not work on
> traditional X, we keep the erlier bits working for at least one more
> version.
>
> It will also give us time to experiment with more gestures as enabled by
> things like touchegg.

The pinch gesture doesn't need the PGTK build at all.

My rule when it comes to implementing features is to first implement
them on X, and then on the rest of the platforms (if feasible).

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-24  1:21             ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-24  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Interesting.
>
> Here is what I discovered next:
>
> Start touchegg as a daemon via systemctl -- it starts happily and runs
> but doesn't deliver events to emacs.

I'm going to guess that it's because Emacs is now using the X input
extension.

Try building --without-xinput2.

> Incidentally I looked through the emacs-29 touch code and it
> essentially does not work for me on my laptop's touchpad; the only
> event I can get emacs to see in that case (with no touchegg running)
> is the touch-end event sporadically showing up. Pinch etc dont appear
> to work.

What version of the X.Org server are you using?  As I said, you need
21.1.0 or later.

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-24  1:23     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-24  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> See the other response in this thread from the maintainer of the pgtk
> branch

There is no PGTK "branch" anymore, and I wasn't talking about the PGTK
port, but instead the regular X build.  My position is also that the
PGTK build is not to be used on X.

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-24  1:34           ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-06-24  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 263 bytes --]

That sounds good!

However the emacs-29 builtin touch gestures dont work for me at all --
only fires by accident sometimes. I did get touchegg working.

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-24  1:58             ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-24  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> That sounds good!
>
> However the emacs-29 builtin touch gestures dont work for me at all --
> only fires by accident sometimes. I did get touchegg working.

touch-end is not the same as the touch gestures I'm talking about, it's
just sent when your scroll wheel is released.

Run (x-server-input-extension-version) and see what is returned.  If
it's not at least (2 4), then your X server is too old.

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-24  6:09               ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-06-24  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 09:58:24 +0800
>
> "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
>
> > That sounds good!
> >
> > However the emacs-29 builtin touch gestures dont work for me at all --
> > only fires by accident sometimes. I did get touchegg working.
> [...]
> Run (x-server-input-extension-version) and see what is returned.  If
> it's not at least (2 4), then your X server is too old.

Should we have this in PROBLEMS?

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-24  6:51                 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-24  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Should we have this in PROBLEMS?

Probably not, since we already say the relevant feature does not work if
it is not supported by the X server.

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-24 13:19               ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-06-24 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 155 bytes --]

(x-server-input-extension-version) returns
(2 4)

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-25  0:04                 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-25  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> (x-server-input-extension-version) returns
> (2 4)

What about the input driver?

And what is the output of "xinput --list --long"?

* Re: Emacs, touchegg and touchpad events
@ 2022-06-25 13:32                   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-06-25 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel