* Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-04 18:10 Tor Kringeland
From: Tor Kringeland @ 2022-07-04 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel@gnu.org

emoji-recent and similar functions are useful for inserting emojis in
Emacs.  However, sometimes I also use it to get emojis that I want to
send outside of Emacs.  If a prefix argument is given to these
functions, could the given emoji be added to the kill ring?  Similarly
could be added to some other C-x 8 commands.  (It's of course easy to
advice these functions myself, but maybe someone else would also find
this useful.)

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-05 11:01 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-07-05 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor Kringeland; +Cc: Emacs-devel@gnu.org

Tor Kringeland <tor.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

> emoji-recent and similar functions are useful for inserting emojis in
> Emacs.  However, sometimes I also use it to get emojis that I want to
> send outside of Emacs.  If a prefix argument is given to these
> functions, could the given emoji be added to the kill ring?  Similarly
> could be added to some other C-x 8 commands.

The prefix is already taken in the `emoji-insert' (to basically run `C-x
8 e s' instead), but we could remove that since it's not very useful.
And then the prefix could be used to copy to the kill ring in all the
emoji insertion commands.

It does sound kinda useful.  Anybody else have any opinions here, one
way or another?

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-05 13:08   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-07-05 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Tor Kringeland, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

    Lars> Tor Kringeland <tor.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:
    >> emoji-recent and similar functions are useful for inserting emojis in
    >> Emacs.  However, sometimes I also use it to get emojis that I want to
    >> send outside of Emacs.  If a prefix argument is given to these
    >> functions, could the given emoji be added to the kill ring?  Similarly
    >> could be added to some other C-x 8 commands.

    Lars> The prefix is already taken in the `emoji-insert' (to basically run `C-x
    Lars> 8 e s' instead), but we could remove that since it's not very useful.
    Lars> And then the prefix could be used to copy to the kill ring in all the
    Lars> emoji insertion commands.

    Lars> It does sound kinda useful.  Anybody else have any opinions here, one
    Lars> way or another?

Iʼm kinda 🤷🏽 on it. Itʼs not *that* hard to just insert the emoji
and then kill it.

Robert

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-05 13:10     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-07-05 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: Tor Kringeland, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Iʼm kinda 🤷🏽 on it. Itʼs not *that* hard to just insert the emoji
> and then kill it.

That's true, but you first have to navigate to a non-read-only buffer,
so it's potentially a series of operations just to be able to paste an
emoji into a different program.

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-05 13:16       ` Visuwesh
From: Visuwesh @ 2022-07-05 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Robert Pluim, Tor Kringeland, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

[செவ்வாய் ஜூலை 05, 2022] Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Iʼm kinda 🤷🏽 on it. Itʼs not *that* hard to just insert the emoji
>> and then kill it.
>
> That's true, but you first have to navigate to a non-read-only buffer,

M-: is really handy for this... but it is probably better to add the
prefix tho.  (I never use the emoji commands however.)

@ 2022-07-05 13:26         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-07-05 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Visuwesh; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Tor Kringeland, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

    Visuwesh> [செவ்வாய் ஜூலை 05, 2022] Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
    >> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    >>
    >>> Iʼm kinda 🤷🏽 on it. Itʼs not *that* hard to just insert the emoji
    >>> and then kill it.
    >>
    >> That's true, but you first have to navigate to a non-read-only buffer,

    Visuwesh> M-: is really handy for this... but it is probably better to add the
    Visuwesh> prefix tho.  (I never use the emoji commands however.)

I rarely use them, since I have an input method for them instead 😃

Robert

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-05 16:33         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-07-05 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Visuwesh; +Cc: Robert Pluim, Tor Kringeland, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com> writes:

> M-: is really handy for this...

You can't use transients while in the minibuffer, unfortunately.

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-05 16:46           ` Visuwesh
From: Visuwesh @ 2022-07-05 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Robert Pluim, Tor Kringeland, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

[செவ்வாய் ஜூலை 05, 2022] Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> M-: is really handy for this...
>
> You can't use transients while in the minibuffer, unfortunately.

Looks this restriction was removed.

See https://github.com/magit/transient/pull/111/commits/e17f68aac2067945f530df67a9336d279a79e974

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-05 16:53             ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-07-05 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Visuwesh; +Cc: Robert Pluim, Tor Kringeland, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com> writes:

> Looks this restriction was removed.

I tried it in "emacs -Q" and it barfed at me.

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-05 17:14               ` Visuwesh
From: Visuwesh @ 2022-07-05 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Robert Pluim, Tor Kringeland, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

[செவ்வாய் ஜூலை 05, 2022] Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Looks this restriction was removed.
>
> I tried it in "emacs -Q" and it barfed at me.

I guess the commit didn't make it into master then?

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-14 10:00                 ` Tor Kringeland
From: Tor Kringeland @ 2022-07-14 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Visuwesh, Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Robert Pluim, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

Since there seems to be no objections, would it be OK to implement this
feature?  (Or at least I could send it in to the wish list so we don't
lose track of it.)

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-07-14 17:22                   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-07-14 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor Kringeland; +Cc: Visuwesh, Robert Pluim, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

Tor Kringeland <tor.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

> Since there seems to be no objections, would it be OK to implement this
> feature?  (Or at least I could send it in to the wish list so we don't
> lose track of it.)

Yup.

* Re: Prefix argument to emoji-recent etc.?
@ 2022-08-03 10:28             ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2022-08-03 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Visuwesh, Lars Ingebrigtsen
  Cc: Robert Pluim, Tor Kringeland, Emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> You can't use transients while in the minibuffer, unfortunately.

I have just updated the library in Emacs to the latest version, which
supports that.

> Looks this restriction was removed.
>
> See https://github.com/magit/transient/pull/111/commits/e17f68aac2067945f530df67a9336d279a79e974

That was already in Emacs; just like the commit that disabled it again.
But https://github.com/magit/transient/commit/7b8a7d718ab8d1811d8635798
finally fixes it.  That comes with a long commit message, but the final
paragraph is just:

> 3. In the third case, when the minibuffer is already active when a
>    transient prefix command is invoked, then that finally just works.

:D

     Jonas