* Bazaar
@ 2009-09-15 17:29 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-09-15 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've just installed an "old" Bazaar mirror of Emacs's repository (the
one in http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-merges.tar.gz) into
sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges.  The "trunk" is
actually called "master" (that's because the mirror went through Git).

As far as I can tell, it works OK (including the loggerhead feature that
allows browsing the repository from the Savannah web page).  Feel free to
try it out (including installing any change you want: it'll be thrown
away and replaced by another Bzr repository when we do the real switch).

The problems I know of are:
- the orignal checkout is likely to be terribly slow.  Better do it by
  downloading http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-merges.tar.gz.
- no bzr+ssh access: only http and sftp currently.
- no link to emacs-diffs@gnu.org, that I can see.

Please take a look at it (try to do the things you
often/usually/occasionally do on the CVS repository to see if they work
as well).

* Re: Bazaar
@ 2009-09-17 17:47 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-09-17 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Earl; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Jason,

As you may have seen, I've been trying out the new Bzr code in savannah,
and for now it seems to work.  The lack of "bzr+ssh" access is
unfortunate, but hopefully that will get fixed at some point.  I do not
think it should stop us from switching now (just like the slow initial
checkout problem).

Regarding the emacs-diffs@gnu.org messages, I'm writing a script to do
that "outside of savannah".

So it seems all the critical pieces are in place.  We're still waiting
for comments from the mailing-list, of course.  In the mean time I'd
like to double check with you that, assuming all is well, you can make
a "final" conversion at any time.

        Stefan

> I've just installed an "old" Bazaar mirror of Emacs's repository (the
> one in http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-merges.tar.gz) into
> sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges.  The "trunk" is
> actually called "master" (that's because the mirror went through Git).

> As far as I can tell, it works OK (including the loggerhead feature that
> allows browsing the repository from the Savannah web page).  Feel free to
> try it out (including installing any change you want: it'll be thrown
> away and replaced by another Bzr repository when we do the real switch).

> The problems I know of are:
> - the orignal checkout is likely to be terribly slow.  Better do it by
>   downloading http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-merges.tar.gz.
> - no bzr+ssh access: only http and sftp currently.
> - no link to emacs-diffs@gnu.org, that I can see.

> Please take a look at it (try to do the things you
> often/usually/occasionally do on the CVS repository to see if they work
> as well).

>         Stefan

* Re: Bazaar
@ 2009-09-17 18:24 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-09-17 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I've just installed an "old" Bazaar mirror of Emacs's repository (the
> one in http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-merges.tar.gz) into
> sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges.  The "trunk" is
> actually called "master" (that's because the mirror went through Git).

Should this be [bzr.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs/emacs-merges/]?  The
[bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges/] url did not work for me.

* Re: Bazaar
@ 2009-09-17 20:40   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-09-17 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I've just installed an "old" Bazaar mirror of Emacs's repository (the
>> one in http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs-merges.tar.gz) into
>> sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges.  The "trunk" is
>> actually called "master" (that's because the mirror went through Git).

> Should this be [bzr.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs/emacs-merges/]?  The
> [bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges/] url did not work for me.

Sorry for not being more clear:
sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges is the "shared
repository" of all branches.
sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges/master holds the branch
that corresponds to the CVS trunk.

But again, don't try to clone directly from there (it takes many hours),
download a tarball instead (or do a "cp -a" after mounting the
repository via sshfs, but beware that the core of the data is in
sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges/.bzr, so if you only
copy a branch you'll be sorely disappointed).

        Stefan

PS: Browsing http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/ should show you
the available branches (it's got one Bzr branch per CVS tag).

* Re: Bazaar
@ 2009-09-17 20:55     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-09-17 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Sorry for not being more clear:
> sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges is the "shared
> repository" of all branches.
> sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges/master holds the branch
> that corresponds to the CVS trunk.
>
> But again, don't try to clone directly from there (it takes many hours),
> download a tarball instead (or do a "cp -a" after mounting the
> repository via sshfs, but beware that the core of the data is in
> sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges/.bzr, so if you only
> copy a branch you'll be sorely disappointed).

Would it make much of a difference if we omit some of those old CVS
branches from the conversion (if that's even possible)?  I presume no
one is going to go rooting around the "amigados-merge" branch from 1996.
Even things like the rmail-mbox branch and the emacs-unicode branch
could probably be discarded.

* Re: Bazaar
@ 2009-09-17 22:32       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-09-17 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> Would it make much of a difference if we omit some of those old CVS
> branches from the conversion (if that's even possible)?  I presume no
> one is going to go rooting around the "amigados-merge" branch from 1996.

This is not a branch, but a tag.  A properly converted repository would
only have 40 branches.

> Even things like the rmail-mbox branch and the emacs-unicode branch
> could probably be discarded.

I don't agree.  We should not carelessly discard history.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Bazaar
@ 2009-09-18  1:04         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-09-18  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

>> Would it make much of a difference if we omit some of those old CVS
>> branches from the conversion (if that's even possible)?  I presume no
>> one is going to go rooting around the "amigados-merge" branch from 1996.

No it would make almost no difference.

> This is not a branch, but a tag.  A properly converted repository would
> only have 40 branches.

We can and should move the bzr branches that do not correspond to a CVS
branch to a subdirectory, so as to clean up the name space.  But this
repository is just for testing, so there's no point wasting time on this
(tho feel free to try it, so to get a feel for how it would work).

>> Even things like the rmail-mbox branch and the emacs-unicode branch
>> could probably be discarded.
> I don't agree.  We should not carelessly discard history.

Agreed, unless there's a good reason for it.
Saving a tiny portion of a large disk space doesn't seem like
a good reason.

* Re: Bazaar
@ 2009-09-18  1:17     ` Chong Yidong
       [not found]       ` <87bpl9hsno.fsf@workhorse.earlhome>
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-09-18  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

I tried a straight bzr branch just to see how long it would take:

 bzr branch sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges/master

It finished in about 10 minutes, but files are missing.  In the root
directory, for instance, autogen.sh, BUGS, and COPYING are missing.  Am
I doing something wrong?

* Re: Bazaar
@ 2009-09-18  8:48         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-09-18  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: cyd, monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 00:32:27 +0200
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Even things like the rmail-mbox branch and the emacs-unicode branch
> > could probably be discarded.
>
> I don't agree.  We should not carelessly discard history.

Agreed.

* Re: Bazaar
       [not found]       ` <87bpl9hsno.fsf@workhorse.earlhome>
@ 2009-09-18 14:02         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-09-18 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Earl; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

>> I tried a straight bzr branch just to see how long it would take:
>> bzr branch sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges/master
>> It finished in about 10 minutes, but files are missing.  In the root
>> directory, for instance, autogen.sh, BUGS, and COPYING are missing.
>> Am I doing something wrong?

It didn't signal any error?  Looks like a bug in bzr.  My attempt took
several hours.

> The emacs-merges branch is based off of the cvsps import (which is not
> very good).

I don't think so.  IIUC the emacs-merges thingy is based on the
Git mirror.

> I can't get to the sftp: url above, and the http version of the url
> seems to be broken somehow, so I can't tell for sure what is going on,
> but I'm not surprised.

I believe the HTTP address looks like

   http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/emacs-merges/

> By the say Stefan, the newest import is done.

Good, so it works.  Thank you.

* Re: Bazaar
@ 2009-09-18 17:35           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-09-18 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Jason Earl, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> I tried a straight bzr branch just to see how long it would take:
>>> bzr branch sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-merges/master
>>> It finished in about 10 minutes, but files are missing.  In the root
>>> directory, for instance, autogen.sh, BUGS, and COPYING are missing.
>>> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> It didn't signal any error?  Looks like a bug in bzr.  My attempt took
> several hours.

When I browse

http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/emacs-merges/master/files

I also don't see those files as present.

* Re: Bazaar
@ 2009-09-23 20:09   ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2009-09-23 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Jason Earl, emacs-devel

> Regarding the emacs-diffs@gnu.org messages, I'm writing a script to do
> that "outside of savannah".

Thank you for pushing the switchover along, Stefan.  (Sorry I dropped
away; just got sick.)

Can you describe how this script works and where it runs?

> So it seems all the critical pieces are in place.  We're still waiting
> for comments from the mailing-list, of course.  In the mean time I'd
> like to double check with you that, assuming all is well, you can make
> a "final" conversion at any time.

Re loggerhead: when I start out at http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/,
and then click on "emacs-merges" to go to:

  http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/emacs-merges/

it takes a minute or so.  I'm not sure why the slowness.  I also see
what Glenn Morris saw: in Loggerhead, certain files are missing (e.g.,
autogen.sh, BUGS, COPYING).  I'm branching it now to see if they're also
missing there.  (I presume they are, though; Jason, Andreas, any idea
why they're missing?)

Meanwhile, I've updated http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
with information about the repository/branch locations.

When we go live, we might want to rename "master" to "trunk", as that's
a bit more standard and more distinctive: most developers understand
what "trunk" means when they see it, and the word is not used for much
else, whereas "master" is used for many things.  I think this is as easy
as "mv master trunk" in the repository on Savannah.

-Karl