* New interactive spec
@ 2009-11-09 17:31 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2009-11-09 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

       Hello,

[please Cc: me; I'm not on the list ]

I've recently modified the behavior of switch-to-buffer in XEmacs so
that the completion mechanism doesn't include the current buffer. In
doing so, I figured it would be generally useful to have an interactive
spec for that (meaning "a buffer except the current one"). I was
thinking g/G because that's the next thing available to us, but I'm
wondering if GNU Emacs already uses it, or if you'd have another
suggestion.

Thank you !

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

* Re: New interactive spec
@ 2009-11-09 20:16 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-11-09 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Didier Verna; +Cc: emacs-devel

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:

Hi Didier,

> I've recently modified the behavior of switch-to-buffer in XEmacs so
> that the completion mechanism doesn't include the current buffer. In
> doing so, I figured it would be generally useful to have an
> interactive spec for that (meaning "a buffer except the current
> one"). I was thinking g/G because that's the next thing available to
> us, but I'm wondering if GNU Emacs already uses it, or if you'd have
> another suggestion.

"G" is already taken, but "g" would be free.

  G -- Possibly nonexistent file name, defaulting to just directory
       name.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: New interactive spec
@ 2009-11-09 22:03   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-11-09 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Didier Verna; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I've recently modified the behavior of switch-to-buffer in XEmacs so
>> that the completion mechanism doesn't include the current buffer. In
>> doing so, I figured it would be generally useful to have an
>> interactive spec for that (meaning "a buffer except the current
>> one"). I was thinking g/G because that's the next thing available to
>> us, but I'm wondering if GNU Emacs already uses it, or if you'd have
>> another suggestion.

> "G" is already taken, but "g" would be free.

>   G -- Possibly nonexistent file name, defaulting to just directory
>        name.

How important is it to have a letter for it?

* Re: New interactive spec
@ 2009-11-10  0:44     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-11-10  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Didier Verna, emacs-devel

>>> I've recently modified the behavior of switch-to-buffer in XEmacs so
>>> that the completion mechanism doesn't include the current buffer. In
>>> doing so, I figured it would be generally useful to have an
>>> interactive spec for that (meaning "a buffer except the current
>>> one"). I was thinking g/G because that's the next thing available to
>>> us, but I'm wondering if GNU Emacs already uses it, or if you'd have
>>> another suggestion.
>
>> "G" is already taken, but "g" would be free.
>
>>   G -- Possibly nonexistent file name, defaulting to just directory
>>        name.
>
> How important is it to have a letter for it?

I see a tendency in the opposite direction - replacing letters
with equivalent Lisp code to be able to add more functionality.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: New interactive spec
@ 2009-11-10 11:42     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2009-11-10 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: xemacs-beta, emacs-devel

[ Added xemacs-beta to the discussion ]

Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

>>> I've recently modified the behavior of switch-to-buffer in XEmacs so
>>> that the completion mechanism doesn't include the current buffer. In
>>> doing so, I figured it would be generally useful to have an
>>> interactive spec for that (meaning "a buffer except the current
>>> one"). I was thinking g/G because that's the next thing available to
>>> us, but I'm wondering if GNU Emacs already uses it, or if you'd have
>>> another suggestion.
>
>> "G" is already taken, but "g" would be free.
>
>>   G -- Possibly nonexistent file name, defaulting to just directory
>>        name.
>
> How important is it to have a letter for it?

  Is this question directed to Tassilo (about G) or to me ?

If it's to me: it is not critical to have a letter (I'd like both upcase
and downcase BTW) for it. It just seems that it could be generally
useful. In the core of XEmacs I can see several functions that could use
it: append|prepend|copy-to-buffer, clone-indirect-buffer[-other-window]
and view-buffer[-other-window].

But now that I think about it, I'm starting to realize that every
interactive call using b and providing the current buffer as the default
one could avoid completing to the current buffer altogether because you
just need to type RETURN to get it. So maybe I should modify the b
specification instead...

--

@ 2009-11-10 21:50       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-11-10 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Didier Verna; +Cc: emacs-devel, Stefan Monnier, xemacs-beta

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:
> But now that I think about it, I'm starting to realize that every
> interactive call using b and providing the current buffer as the default
> one could avoid completing to the current buffer altogether because you
> just need to type RETURN to get it. So maybe I should modify the b
> specification instead...

I don't think that's a very good idea -- I find that I _often_ try to
type/complete a name even if it's available as a default via RET, and it
would be very disconcerting if valid names were not available for
completion simply because they were also available using a different
mechanism.

-Miles

--
Defenceless, adj. Unable to attack.

* Re: New interactive spec
@ 2009-11-11 10:00         ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2009-11-11 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel, Stefan Monnier, xemacs-beta

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> I don't think that's a very good idea -- I find that I _often_ try to
> type/complete a name even if it's available as a default via RET, and
> it would be very disconcerting if valid names were not available for
> completion simply because they were also available using a different
> mechanism.

  OK, but I'm not talking about /any/ buffer available as the default.
Only the /current/ buffer. Do you think it really happens that when
prompted with the /current/ buffer as a default value, you try to type
and complete it anyway ?

--

@ 2009-11-13 16:11           ` Per Starbäck
From: Per Starbäck @ 2009-11-13 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Didier Verna; +Cc: xemacs-beta, emacs-devel, Stefan Monnier, Miles Bader

2009/11/11 Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org>:

>  OK, but I'm not talking about /any/ buffer available as the default.
> Only the /current/ buffer. Do you think it really happens that when
> prompted with the /current/ buffer as a default value, you try to type
> and complete it anyway ?

I think I do sometimes at least, for example with ediff-buffers where
I most of the time already display the two buffers, but sometimes have
"A" and sometimes "B" as current buffer when invoking ediff-buffers.

I'm still surprised now and then by the new completion in emacs 23
that avoids current buffer sometimes.

* Re: New interactive spec
@ 2009-11-15 15:05             ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-11-15 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Starbäck; +Cc: Didier Verna, emacs-devel

>>  OK, but I'm not talking about /any/ buffer available as the default.
>> Only the /current/ buffer. Do you think it really happens that when
>> prompted with the /current/ buffer as a default value, you try to type
>> and complete it anyway ?
>
> I think I do sometimes at least, for example with ediff-buffers where
> I most of the time already display the two buffers, but sometimes have
> "A" and sometimes "B" as current buffer when invoking ediff-buffers.
>
> I'm still surprised now and then by the new completion in emacs 23
> that avoids current buffer sometimes.

Could you please provide a detailed test case.  I tried to reproduce
what you've described above, but I see no problem in Emacs 23.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/