* Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-21 22:39 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2010-01-21 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

We've now got bzr which allows easier branching but all I've done is commit to
trunk. BzrForEmacsDevs appears to describe creating local branches but how
about branches on bzr.savannah.gnu.org?  Are there any?

With git I think you can find out with "git branch -r".  I've tried bzr
branches "http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs" and "bzr branches
sftp://nickrob@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/" but it just seems to hang.

--
Nick http://users.snap.net.nz/~nickrob

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-21 23:48 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-01-21 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: nickrob

nickrob@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) writes:

> We've now got bzr which allows easier branching but all I've done is commit to
> trunk. BzrForEmacsDevs appears to describe creating local branches but how
> about branches on bzr.savannah.gnu.org?  Are there any?
>
> With git I think you can find out with "git branch -r".  I've tried bzr
> branches "http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs" and "bzr branches
> sftp://nickrob@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/" but it just seems to hang.

No, it's just very slow. 5 minutes or more.

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-22  0:01   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-01-22  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: nickrob, emacs-devel

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:
> nickrob@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) writes:
>
>> We've now got bzr which allows easier branching but all I've done is commit to
>> trunk. BzrForEmacsDevs appears to describe creating local branches but how
>> about branches on bzr.savannah.gnu.org?  Are there any?
>>
>> With git I think you can find out with "git branch -r".  I've tried bzr
>> branches "http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs" and "bzr branches
>> sftp://nickrob@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/" but it just seems to hang.
>
> No, it's just very slow. 5 minutes or more.

I checked out Emacs from Launchpad instead. I tried the branch command:

  bzr branches lp:emacs
  bzr: ERROR: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/emacs/trunk/
    is permanently redirected to /~vcs-imports/emacs/trunk/changes

What is the error message trying to tell me?

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-22  0:49   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2010-01-22  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Óscar Fuentes writes:
 > nickrob@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) writes:
 >
 > > We've now got bzr which allows easier branching but all I've done is commit to
 > > trunk. BzrForEmacsDevs appears to describe creating local branches but how
 > > about branches on bzr.savannah.gnu.org?  Are there any?
 > >
 > > With git I think you can find out with "git branch -r".  I've tried bzr
 > > branches "http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs" and "bzr branches
 > > sftp://nickrob@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/" but it just seems to hang.
 >
 > No, it's just very slow. 5 minutes or more.

I've just tried it for twenty minutes, or more, then given up.

--

@ 2010-01-22  1:34     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-01-22  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

nickrob@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) writes:

>  > > With git I think you can find out with "git branch -r".  I've
>  > > tried bzr branches "http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs" and "bzr
>  > > branches sftp://nickrob@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/" but
>  > > it just seems to hang.
>  >
>  > No, it's just very slow. 5 minutes or more.
>
> I've just tried it for twenty minutes, or more, then given up.

time bzr branches http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs

returned the list of branches after 4m50s  (6Mbp/s ADSL, bzr 2.0.1)

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-22  1:38 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-01-22  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: emacs-devel

nickrob@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) writes:

> We've now got bzr which allows easier branching but all I've done is
> commit to trunk. BzrForEmacsDevs appears to describe creating local
> branches but how about branches on bzr.savannah.gnu.org?  Are there
> any?

Not yet, but Real Soon Now.  (Stefan and I have more or less hashed our
plans out, but I'll let him explain the details...)

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-22  1:44     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-01-22  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

>>> With git I think you can find out with "git branch -r".  I've tried bzr
>>> branches "http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs" and "bzr branches
>>> sftp://nickrob@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/" but it just seems to hang.
>>
>> No, it's just very slow. 5 minutes or more.
>

> I checked out Emacs from Launchpad instead. I tried the branch command:
>
>   bzr branches lp:emacs
>   bzr: ERROR: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/emacs/trunk/
>     is permanently redirected to /~vcs-imports/emacs/trunk/changes
>
> What is the error message trying to tell me?

First, it is unlikely (although not impossible) that

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/emacs/trunk/

contains several branches. It *is* a branch.

bzr branches http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/emacs/

returns an empty list. Given the special setup that Launchpad uses, it
is possible that the `branches' command does not work on it.

That said, the error report is quite cryptic, although it seems like
coming from the some deep API and may be difficult to interpret on the
outer layer were the plugin operates. If you are curious, file a bug
report on the Bazaar `bzrtools' plugin home:

https://launchpad.net/bzrtools

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-22  2:06     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-22  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, emacs-devel

Nick Roberts wrote:

> I've just tried it for twenty minutes, or more, then given up.

You can just visit http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/ with a web
browser to see what branches there are.

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-22  2:21       ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2010-01-22  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, emacs-devel

 > > I've just tried it for twenty minutes, or more, then given up.
 >
 > You can just visit http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/ with a web
 > browser to see what branches there are.

That does exactly what I want and it's immediate.

Thanks.

--

@ 2010-01-22  3:58       ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2010-01-22  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Óscar Fuentes writes:
 > nickrob@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) writes:
 >
 > >  > > With git I think you can find out with "git branch -r".  I've
 > >  > > tried bzr branches "http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs" and "bzr
 > >  > > branches sftp://nickrob@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/" but
 > >  > > it just seems to hang.
 > >  >
 > >  > No, it's just very slow. 5 minutes or more.
 > >
 > > I've just tried it for twenty minutes, or more, then given up.
 >
 > time bzr branches http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs
 >
 > returned the list of branches after 4m50s  (6Mbp/s ADSL, bzr 2.0.1)

OK, Now I see:

bzr branches http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs

real	6m42.968s
user	0m1.868s
sys	0m0.104s

and:

bzr branches sftp://nickrob@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/

real	15m6.515s
user	0m2.236s
sys	0m0.100s

with the output below.  But using a web browser as Glenn describes, is
immediate.

--
Nick                                           http://users.snap.net.nz/~nickrob

EMACS_23_1_RC
emacs-bidi
lexbind
old-branches/EMACS_21_1_RC
old-branches/EMACS_22_BASE
old-branches/NewVC-fileset
old-branches/branch-5_8
old-branches/cedet-branch
old-branches/emacs-unicode
old-branches/emacs-unicode-2
old-branches/font-backend
old-branches/gerd_defvaralias
old-branches/gnus-5_10-branch
old-branches/multi-tty
old-branches/rmail-mbox-branch
old-branches/unicode-xft
other-branches/Boehm-GC
other-branches/Boehm-versions
other-branches/DAVELOVE
other-branches/FLYSPELL
other-branches/ILYA
other-branches/URL
other-branches/VENDOR
other-branches/XFT_JHD_BRANCH
other-branches/custom_themes
other-branches/fx-branch
other-branches/gerd_0001
other-branches/gerd_big
other-branches/gerd_dbe
other-branches/gerd_int
other-branches/glibc-2_0_x
other-branches/master-UNNAMED-BRANCH
other-branches/miles-orphaned-changes
other-branches/patches_21_0
other-branches/test2
other-branches/thomas-posix1996
other-branches/ttn-vms-21-2-stash
other-branches/ttn-vms-21-3-stash
> test - sftp only
trunk

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-22  7:41   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-01-22  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: nickrob, emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:38:01 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> nickrob@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) writes:
>
> > We've now got bzr which allows easier branching but all I've done is
> > commit to trunk. BzrForEmacsDevs appears to describe creating local
> > branches but how about branches on bzr.savannah.gnu.org?  Are there
> > any?
>
> Not yet, but Real Soon Now.

You are probably talking about post-23 branches.  Because older
branches inherited from CVS are already there, and there are quite a
few of them.

> (Stefan and I have more or less hashed our plans out, but I'll let
> him explain the details...)

That's good to hear, thanks.

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-22  7:52       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-01-22  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Óscar_Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 02:34:44 +0100
>
> nickrob@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) writes:
>
> >  > > With git I think you can find out with "git branch -r".  I've
> >  > > tried bzr branches "http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs" and "bzr
> >  > > branches sftp://nickrob@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/" but
> >  > > it just seems to hang.
> >  >
> >  > No, it's just very slow. 5 minutes or more.
> >
> > I've just tried it for twenty minutes, or more, then given up.
>
> time bzr branches http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs
>
> returned the list of branches after 4m50s  (6Mbp/s ADSL, bzr 2.0.1)

Here it is

    real    00h10m08.281s
    user    00h00m08.031s
    sys     00h00m01.078s

(Windows XP SP2, 3.5Mbps cable, bzr 2.0.3)

I think the large discrepancy between `real' and `user'+`sys' means
that most of the time is spent waiting for the network.

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-22 13:08       ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-01-22 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes

Óscar> time bzr branches http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs
Óscar> returned the list of branches after 4m50s  (6Mbp/s ADSL, bzr 2.0.1)

As a comparison, doing bzr branches against a local rsymc mirror of the
repo on an old laptop with a slow drive and a cold cache took:

 3.23user 0.37system 0:16.70elapsed 21%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 56944maxresident)k

So bzr branch is a /lot/ slower than it needs to be over http or sftp.

Yet another reason to demand bzr+ssh, yes?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: Listing branches in bzr
@ 2010-01-22 15:34         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-01-22 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, emacs-devel

>> > I've just tried it for twenty minutes, or more, then given up.
>> You can just visit http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/ with a web
>> browser to see what branches there are.
> That does exactly what I want and it's immediate.

You can also visit sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs (via some SFTP
client), of course,