* Emacs and TLS support
@ 2010-09-26 16:11 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2010-09-26 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs

Bootstrapping rev.101632, 'configuring' says:

[...]
checking for gnutls >= 2.2.4... yes
checking LIBGNUTLS_CFLAGS...
checking LIBGNUTLS_LIBS... -lgnutls -ltasn1
[...]
   Does Emacs use -lgnutls (BROKEN)?                       yes
[...]

Why '(BROKEN)'?

This occurs both on GNU/Linux K10.04 and Cygwin with gnutls-2.8.5
(K10.04) and gnutls-2.8.6 (Cygwin) packages.

Ciao,
Angelo.

* Re: Emacs and TLS support
@ 2010-09-27  3:18 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2010-09-27  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:33:04 -0500
> Subject: Re: Emacs and TLS support
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:06:46 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>
> It would be great if the GnuTLS developers could comment.  But these
> references seem to specifically confirm that non-blocking sockets should
> work the way I'm doing it:
>
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnutls-dev/2005-March/000839.html
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/html_node/The-transport-layer.html
>
> I tried setting the low water value to 0 in `Fgnutls_handshake' after
> `gnutls_transport_set_ptr2' but it didn't make a difference:
>
>    gnutls_transport_set_lowat (state, 0);
>
> So I removed it in the patch.  I sort of suspect right now that
> recv/send are not working correctly so I need to provide custom versions
> with `gnutls_transport_set_pull_function' and
> `gnutls_transport_set_push_function'.  But I don't know enough about the
> Emacs internals that set up processes, which are ridiculously
> complicated because of all the supported platforms.  And Simon Josefsson
> said his patch worked when he first wrote it, so I assumed that this
> kind of deep surgery would not be required.

Not sure if this is related to the thread. I am having problems using
gnutls to access my company (M$ Exchange) mail using imap.
This used to work ~2 weeks back though. I had not done any specific
setting to use gnutls-client but now I see it barfing with error
(unable to handshake). I did a bit of troubleshooting. I executed the
same program "gnutls-cli" from command line and found same error. I
later installed starttls package and used that to connect from command
line and it worked!
Now, I try to cajole gnus to use starttls, it just refuses to use it
and keeps defaulting to gnutls-cli or openssl. This is when I stopped
and decided to take a break.

If someone can help me use starttls through gnus, I can try to capture
the packets with gnutls-cli and starttls and hope it can throw some
light. Let me try doing that with command line since starttls works
and gnutls-cli does not.

-dhruva