* Proposal for emacs-emba mailing list
@ 2020-12-29 15:11 Toon Claes
From: Toon Claes @ 2020-12-29 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Fermin, Ted Zlatanov, Michael Albinus, Lars Ingebrigtsen

Recently more people have shown their interest in using CI and build
automation for GNU Emacs. Currently we have a thread going on about it
with the people in Cc. But those mails are sent off-list.

I'd like to have a mailing list to have a track record of these
emails. We could do this on emacs-devel itself, but I'm not sure that's
the right place (who am I to judge?). Another option could be to discuss
on emacs-buildstatus, but that feels like an even worse idea.

Some time ago, when emba.gnu.org was initially set up, we decided to
postpone creating a mailing list for it, because there were only 2
people involved. I think we've come to the point were a mailing list
would be beneficial.

We could use emacs-emba, although it might be too focused to
emba.gnu.org only, while the scope might be broader. Maybe a name like
emacs-build-automation or so would be better. But I'm open to
suggestions.

--
Toon

From: Michael Albinus @ 2020-12-29 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Claes; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov, Fermin, Lars Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

Toon Claes <toon@iotcl.com> writes:

> Some time ago, when emba.gnu.org was initially set up, we decided to
> postpone creating a mailing list for it, because there were only 2
> people involved. I think we've come to the point were a mailing list
> would be beneficial.

+1

> We could use emacs-emba, although it might be too focused to
> emba.gnu.org only, while the scope might be broader. Maybe a name like
> emacs-build-automation or so would be better. But I'm open to
> suggestions.

I'm OK with either name. However, in the latter case we might ask Glenn
Morris whether he wants to participate. He's the guy running Emacs CI
tests on hydra.nixos.org.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Proposal for emacs-emba mailing list
@ 2020-12-29 15:48 ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-12-29 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Claes
  Cc: Michael Albinus, Ted Zlatanov, Fermin, Lars Ingebrigtsen,
	emacs-devel

Hello,

Toon Claes writes:

> Recently more people have shown their interest in using CI and build
> automation for GNU Emacs. Currently we have a thread going on about it
> with the people in Cc. But those mails are sent off-list.
>
> I'd like to have a mailing list to have a track record of these
> emails. We could do this on emacs-devel itself, but I'm not sure that's
> the right place (who am I to judge?). Another option could be to discuss
> on emacs-buildstatus, but that feels like an even worse idea.

+1 for discussing on them on-list; I want in as well. :-)

> Some time ago, when emba.gnu.org was initially set up, we decided to
> postpone creating a mailing list for it, because there were only 2
> people involved. I think we've come to the point were a mailing list
> would be beneficial.
>
> We could use emacs-emba, although it might be too focused to
> emba.gnu.org only, while the scope might be broader. Maybe a name like
> emacs-build-automation or so would be better. But I'm open to
> suggestions.

If we are to not use emacs-devel for those discussions but rather a
dedicated list, I'd second using a broader name than emacs-emba:
I've been floating around the idea of setting up a GNU-wide installation
of Sourcehut (at least parts of it, but especially its 'builds' module)
and inviting Emacs maintainers and interested maintainers of other GNU
packages to experiment with it and integrate it into their projects.
So, emba.gnu.org may not necessarily be present indefinitely into the
future, and I think a more generic name like emacs-build-discuss would
be better suited for such a list.

* Re: Proposal for emacs-emba mailing list
@ 2020-12-30  2:48 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-12-30  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Claes; +Cc: Fermin, Ted Zlatanov, Michael Albinus, emacs-devel

Toon Claes <toon@iotcl.com> writes:

> I'd like to have a mailing list to have a track record of these
> emails. We could do this on emacs-devel itself, but I'm not sure that's
> the right place (who am I to judge?).

I'm not opposed to a new mailing list for this by any means, but my
preference would be to have discussions about the CI stuff on
emacs-devel -- it seems extremely relevant to Emacs development.  This
can be a pretty noisy mailing list, though, so perhaps a separate list
is something many would prefer?

@ 2020-12-30  4:57   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-12-30  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen
  Cc: Michael Albinus, Toon Claes, Fermin, Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

>> I'd like to have a mailing list to have a track record of these
>> emails. We could do this on emacs-devel itself, but I'm not sure that's
>> the right place (who am I to judge?).
>
> I'm not opposed to a new mailing list for this by any means, but my
> preference would be to have discussions about the CI stuff on
> emacs-devel -- it seems extremely relevant to Emacs development.  This
> can be a pretty noisy mailing list, though, so perhaps a separate list
> is something many would prefer?

I think, in the initial days, there will be lots of discussions but once
things settle down it will be okay for emacs-devel as well.

But if the idea is to send automated emails also (like debbugs), then a
separate list is a good idea. In the domain of CI etc., automated emails
are common.

* Re: Proposal for emacs-emba mailing list
@ 2020-12-30  9:16     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2020-12-30  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Toon Claes, Fermin, Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

Hi,

This list exist already, <emacs-buildstatus@gnu.org>.

@ 2020-12-30 10:01   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2020-12-30 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Fermin, Toon Claes, Michael Albinus, emacs-devel

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 03:48:54 +0100 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LI> Toon Claes <toon@iotcl.com> writes:
>> I'd like to have a mailing list to have a track record of these
>> emails. We could do this on emacs-devel itself, but I'm not sure that's
>> the right place (who am I to judge?).

LI> I'm not opposed to a new mailing list for this by any means, but my
LI> preference would be to have discussions about the CI stuff on
LI> emacs-devel -- it seems extremely relevant to Emacs development.  This
LI> can be a pretty noisy mailing list, though, so perhaps a separate list
LI> is something many would prefer?

I think a separate (GMane!) list will be easier to manage.

MA> Toon Claes <toon@iotcl.com> writes:

MA> I'm OK with either name. However, in the latter case we might ask Glenn
MA> Morris whether he wants to participate. He's the guy running Emacs CI
MA> tests on hydra.nixos.org.

I'm also in favor of emacs-build-automation with Glenn and other people
interested, over a specialized emacs-emba mailing list.

Ted

* Re: Proposal for emacs-emba mailing list
@ 2020-12-30 10:23   ` Toon Claes
From: Toon Claes @ 2020-12-30 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Fermin, Ted Zlatanov, Michael Albinus, emacs-devel

On Wed, Dec 30 2020, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> I'm not opposed to a new mailing list for this by any means, but my
> preference would be to have discussions about the CI stuff on
> emacs-devel -- it seems extremely relevant to Emacs development.  This
> can be a pretty noisy mailing list, though, so perhaps a separate list
> is something many would prefer?

Well, yes the noisyness is an issue for me to keep up-to-date on only
this topic. But I get what you mean. There are probably other topics on
emacs-devel that can be split out into separate mailing lists, so where
would it end.

Maybe we can just standardize the subject for mails related to this
topic, like with [ci] or so?

Also, at the moment we have opened a few issues on the issue tracker on
EMBA itself [1]. I actually like this, because I think it's easy to
navigate and categorize and whatnot. But maybe we should also use
debbugs for this instead?

I just want to avoid having all the history scattered around and not
able to find things ever again.

--
Toon

[1] https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/issues

* Re: Proposal for emacs-emba mailing list
@ 2020-12-30 10:55     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2020-12-30 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Claes; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Fermin, Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

Toon Claes <toon@iotcl.com> writes:

> Also, at the moment we have opened a few issues on the issue tracker on
> EMBA itself [1]. I actually like this, because I think it's easy to
> navigate and categorize and whatnot. But maybe we should also use
> debbugs for this instead?
>
> I just want to avoid having all the history scattered around and not
> able to find things ever again.

Yes, that's something I have thought about as well. But w/o further
policies, we won't find emba infrastructure related bugs easily in the
stream of all Emacs bugs on debbugs.

Best regards, Michael.

* Proposal for emacs-build-automation mailing list (was: Proposal for emacs-emba mailing list)
@ 2021-01-09 19:11     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2021-01-09 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Fermin, Toon Claes, emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Hi,

> MA> I'm OK with either name. However, in the latter case we might ask Glenn
> MA> Morris whether he wants to participate. He's the guy running Emacs CI
> MA> tests on hydra.nixos.org.
>
> I'm also in favor of emacs-build-automation with Glenn and other people
> interested, over a specialized emacs-emba mailing list.

Well, somehow we didn't came to a conclusion, and now we have an
emacs-emba mailing list. Since I still believe that
emacs-build-automation is a better name, I propose we correct this
(deleting emacs-emba ML, creating emacs-build-automation ML).

What do people think? I propose, if there is no objection in a couple of
days, we shall go this way.

@ 2021-01-18 15:35   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2021-01-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

For anyone interested, EMBA builds are at
https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/pipelines and driven by
test/infra/gitlab-ci.yml

Please join us to discuss in emacs-build-automation@gnu.org as a mailing
list or as a newsgroup in nntp+news.gmane.io:gmane.emacs.build-automation

Thanks
Ted