On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 00:11, Juri Linkov wrote: > The value of isearch-regexp is not saved as a property in the history. But it should, right? > Please elaborate. Do you rebind C-s to isearch-forward-regexp, > then after using isearch-forward-symbol, can't repeat it with C-s? Exactly. > Does something like this do the right thing for you? > > (defvaralias 'regexp-search-ring 'search-ring) Yes, I guess that would solve the problem I described, except that isearch-regexp won't be set correctly. Now, I'm not sure if a unified history is an interesting enough feature to add. But in the meanwhile something else occurred to me: `C-s C-s` is equivalent to `C-s M-p'. So how about making `C-s C-s' resume the last search, event if it was canceled on in a different mode? I have attached a patch sketching this. What do you think?