* pixel-scroll-precision-mode very slow on macOS with regular mouse wheel
@ 2021-12-08  4:17 Aaron Jensen
From: Aaron Jensen @ 2021-12-08  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers; +Cc: luangruo

Hi,

The new pixel-scroll-precision-mode works very well with a trackpad.
When I use a regular mouse and its wheel on macOS, it is unusably
slow. Each scroll wheel tick is a single pixel. I use both a track pad
and a mouse regularly, so it would be nice to not have to switch the
mode on and off. Is it possible to tell the difference and scroll in
larger blocks when using the wheel?

Aaron

* Re: pixel-scroll-precision-mode very slow on macOS with regular mouse wheel
@ 2021-12-08  4:38 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-12-08  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Jensen; +Cc: Emacs developers, Alan Third

Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The new pixel-scroll-precision-mode works very well with a trackpad.
> When I use a regular mouse and its wheel on macOS, it is unusably
> slow. Each scroll wheel tick is a single pixel. I use both a track pad
> and a mouse regularly, so it would be nice to not have to switch the
> mode on and off. Is it possible to tell the difference and scroll in
> larger blocks when using the wheel?
>
> Aaron

That is very odd: when precise deltas are not available, we use the
estimate provided by macOS as part of `scrollingDeltaY' and
`scrollingDeltaX', which should be more than one pixel.

Alan, is my understanding of `scrollingDeltaY' correct?  Thanks.

* Re: pixel-scroll-precision-mode very slow on macOS with regular mouse wheel
@ 2021-12-08  4:43   ` Aaron Jensen
From: Aaron Jensen @ 2021-12-08  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Alan Third, Emacs developers

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 11:38 PM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The new pixel-scroll-precision-mode works very well with a trackpad.
> > When I use a regular mouse and its wheel on macOS, it is unusably
> > slow. Each scroll wheel tick is a single pixel. I use both a track pad
> > and a mouse regularly, so it would be nice to not have to switch the
> > mode on and off. Is it possible to tell the difference and scroll in
> > larger blocks when using the wheel?
> >
> > Aaron
>
> That is very odd: when precise deltas are not available, we use the
> estimate provided by macOS as part of `scrollingDeltaY' and
> `scrollingDeltaX', which should be more than one pixel.
>
> Alan, is my understanding of `scrollingDeltaY' correct?  Thanks.

macOS scrolling w/ a mouse wheel has acceleration. If I scroll slowly,
it goes very slowly, 1 tick is a couple pixels. If I scroll quickly I
can go through a whole page in a handful of ticks. Perhaps that
mechanic would need to be replicated?

Thanks,

@ 2021-12-08  5:48     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-12-08  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Jensen; +Cc: Alan Third, Emacs developers

Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> writes:

> macOS scrolling w/ a mouse wheel has acceleration. If I scroll slowly,
> it goes very slowly, 1 tick is a couple pixels. If I scroll quickly I
> can go through a whole page in a handful of ticks. Perhaps that
> mechanic would need to be replicated?

I don't understand what you mean by that: when precision deltas are not
available (which is the case with your mouse), Emacs uses the fallback
deltas provided by macOS, which should be sufficient for our purposes.

But I suspect I misunderstood how those deltas work.  They might be
reported as portions of an abstract unit, instead of in pixels, which is
the case with precise deltas.

In that case, we will have to scale those deltas by some method, but I
don't know what TRT is for macOS.

* Re: pixel-scroll-precision-mode very slow on macOS with regular mouse wheel
@ 2021-12-08 11:35       ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-12-08 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu, Aaron Jensen; +Cc: Emacs developers

On 8 December 2021 05:48:47 GMT, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> macOS scrolling w/ a mouse wheel has acceleration. If I scroll slowly,
>> it goes very slowly, 1 tick is a couple pixels. If I scroll quickly I
>> can go through a whole page in a handful of ticks. Perhaps that
>> mechanic would need to be replicated?
>
>I don't understand what you mean by that: when precision deltas are not
>available (which is the case with your mouse), Emacs uses the fallback
>deltas provided by macOS, which should be sufficient for our purposes.
>
>But I suspect I misunderstood how those deltas work.  They might be
>reported as portions of an abstract unit, instead of in pixels, which is
>the case with precise deltas.
>
>In that case, we will have to scale those deltas by some method, but I
>don't know what TRT is for macOS.

Apple's docs say multiply them by the line height, so a delta of 1.0 should scroll one line. You deleted the comment in the code that explained that.

* Re: pixel-scroll-precision-mode very slow on macOS with regular mouse wheel
@ 2021-12-08 11:36         ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-12-08 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu, Aaron Jensen; +Cc: Emacs developers

On 8 December 2021 11:35:18 GMT, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:

>On 8 December 2021 05:48:47 GMT, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> macOS scrolling w/ a mouse wheel has acceleration. If I scroll slowly,
>>> it goes very slowly, 1 tick is a couple pixels. If I scroll quickly I
>>> can go through a whole page in a handful of ticks. Perhaps that
>>> mechanic would need to be replicated?
>>
>>I don't understand what you mean by that: when precision deltas are not
>>available (which is the case with your mouse), Emacs uses the fallback
>>deltas provided by macOS, which should be sufficient for our purposes.
>>
>>But I suspect I misunderstood how those deltas work.  They might be
>>reported as portions of an abstract unit, instead of in pixels, which is
>>the case with precise deltas.
>>
>>In that case, we will have to scale those deltas by some method, but I
>>don't know what TRT is for macOS.
>
>Apple's docs say multiply them by the line height, so a delta of 1.0 should scroll one line. You deleted the comment in the code that explained that.

Sorry, I see now that the comment is actually still there.

* Re: pixel-scroll-precision-mode very slow on macOS with regular mouse wheel
@ 2021-12-08 11:42           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-12-08 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: Aaron Jensen, Emacs developers

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

>> Apple's docs say multiply them by the line height, so a delta of 1.0
>> should scroll one line. You deleted the comment in the code that
>> explained that.

> Sorry, I see now that the comment is actually still there.

Hmm, it seems that I missed that comment somehow.

I will fix that now.

* Re: pixel-scroll-precision-mode very slow on macOS with regular mouse wheel
@ 2021-12-08 21:26             ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-12-08 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Aaron Jensen, Emacs developers

On Wed, Dec 08, 2021 at 07:42:34PM +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:
>
> >> Apple's docs say multiply them by the line height, so a delta of 1.0
> >> should scroll one line. You deleted the comment in the code that
> >> explained that.
>
> > Sorry, I see now that the comment is actually still there.
>
> Hmm, it seems that I missed that comment somehow.
>
> I will fix that now.

Thanks.
--
Alan Third

* Re: pixel-scroll-precision-mode very slow on macOS with regular mouse wheel
@ 2021-12-10  4:09             ` Aaron Jensen
From: Aaron Jensen @ 2021-12-10  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Alan Third, Emacs developers

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 6:42 AM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:
>
> >> Apple's docs say multiply them by the line height, so a delta of 1.0
> >> should scroll one line. You deleted the comment in the code that
> >> explained that.
>
> > Sorry, I see now that the comment is actually still there.
>
> Hmm, it seems that I missed that comment somehow.
>
> I will fix that now.

Thank you, this works perfectly so far.

Aaron