* Re: master 2ec9f025d2: Include the number of dependencies in the install prompt
       [not found] ` <20220513133151.7C851C01687@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2022-05-13 13:47   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-05-13 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen

    Lars> branch: master
    Lars> commit 2ec9f025d242cf28098cf01c532d0cf4e6bd1661
    Lars> Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
    Lars> Commit: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>

    Lars>     Include the number of dependencies in the install prompt

    Lars>     * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el (package-menu--list-to-prompt): Add
    Lars>     the info to the prompt (bug#23346).
    Lars>     (package--dependencies): New function.

After going to all the trouble of calculating the dependencies, it
would be nice to show their names, not just how many there are, no?

Robert

* Re: master 2ec9f025d2: Include the number of dependencies in the install prompt
@ 2022-05-13 13:55     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-13 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> After going to all the trouble of calculating the dependencies, it
> would be nice to show their names, not just how many there are, no?

It would make the prompt really long, though.

* Re: master 2ec9f025d2: Include the number of dependencies in the install prompt
@ 2022-05-13 14:03       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-05-13 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Lars> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    >> After going to all the trouble of calculating the dependencies, it
    >> would be nice to show their names, not just how many there are, no?

    Lars> It would make the prompt really long, though.

That wouldnʼt bother me particularly. I mean, I upgrade my packages
like twice a year, so just the list after doing 'U' is already
ginormous ;-)

Robert

@ 2022-05-13 14:37   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-05-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen

> +                (if (length= deps 1)
> +                    (format " plus 1 dependency")
> +                  (format " plus %d dependencies" (length deps)))

Don't we have a function specifically for that (also kinda intended for
localization, tho AFAIK this part isn't actually implemented yet)?

* Re: master 2ec9f025d2: Include the number of dependencies in the install prompt
@ 2022-05-13 14:52     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-13 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Don't we have a function specifically for that (also kinda intended for
> localization, tho AFAIK this part isn't actually implemented yet)?

Yes, but I can never remember what it's called.  🫠

* Re: master 2ec9f025d2: Include the number of dependencies in the install prompt
@ 2022-05-13 15:24       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-13 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 16:52:38 +0200

> > Don't we have a function specifically for that (also kinda intended for
> > localization, tho AFAIK this part isn't actually implemented yet)?
>
> Yes, but I can never remember what it's called.  🫠

Unsurprisingly, ngettext.

* Re: master 2ec9f025d2: Include the number of dependencies in the install prompt
@ 2022-05-13 15:32         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-13 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> That wouldnʼt bother me particularly. I mean, I upgrade my packages
> like twice a year, so just the list after doing 'U' is already
> ginormous ;-)

When upgrading, the list is huge, but the patch doesn't include the
dependency thing then (because it's not particularly interesting in that
context).  But if you're installing some-innocuous-package, and it turns
out to have a dependency tree that will install 300 more packages, you
may want to reconsider.  So now it says:

Packages to install: 1 (some-innocuous-package) plus 300 dependencies.  Proceed? (y or n)