* emacs windows don't get a name in wayland
@ 2022-05-17 20:00 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2022-05-17 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

After a recent upgrade of my Ubuntu distrib (22.04) the emacs windows
are unnamed in Wayland and as such don't get an icon. In Gnome-shell,
they show up in looking-glass as "<untracked>"

I'm using emacs version 29.0.50 from
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/+archive/ubuntu/ppa, and the problem
remains if I build it from the git repo. Version 27.something works fine
though, and so do all emacs versions in Xorg. Any idea what could be
wrong ?

--
Julien Cubizolles

* Re: emacs windows don't get a name in wayland
@ 2022-05-18  1:01 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-05-18  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-devel

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> After a recent upgrade of my Ubuntu distrib (22.04) the emacs windows
> are unnamed in Wayland and as such don't get an icon. In Gnome-shell,
> they show up in looking-glass as "<untracked>"

Would you please report a bug?

* Re: emacs windows don't get a name in wayland
@ 2022-08-10 10:55   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2022-08-10 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:
>
>> After a recent upgrade of my Ubuntu distrib (22.04) the emacs windows
>> are unnamed in Wayland and as such don't get an icon. In Gnome-shell,
>> they show up in looking-glass as "<untracked>"
>
> Would you please report a bug?

Sorry for not following up sooner. Should I file a bug with emacs,
Ubuntu, Wayland, Gnome ?
--

@ 2022-08-10 11:34     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-08-10 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-devel

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> Sorry for not following up sooner.

No problem.

> Should I file a bug with emacs, Ubuntu, Wayland, Gnome ?

I don't remember what I meant at the time, but I guess either Ubuntu or
GNOME first, and then Emacs if they say it's our problem.  Thanks in
advance.

* Re: emacs windows don't get a name in wayland
@ 2022-08-11 22:04       ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2022-08-11 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:
>
>> Sorry for not following up sooner.
>
> No problem.
>
>> Should I file a bug with emacs, Ubuntu, Wayland, Gnome ?
>
> I don't remember what I meant at the time, but I guess either Ubuntu or
> GNOME first, and then Emacs if they say it's our problem.  Thanks in
> advance.

Submitted to Gnome
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/5739.

--

@ 2022-08-12 20:52         ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2022-08-12 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:
>>
>>> Sorry for not following up sooner.
>>
>> No problem.
>>
>>> Should I file a bug with emacs, Ubuntu, Wayland, Gnome ?
>>
>> I don't remember what I meant at the time, but I guess either Ubuntu or
>> GNOME first, and then Emacs if they say it's our problem.  Thanks in
>> advance.
>
> Submitted to Gnome
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/5739.

Got some quick help over there. Turns out there was a mismatch between
the wmclass "broadcasted" to Gnome/Mutter (lowercase "emacs") and the
StartupWMClass field in the desktop file (capitalized "Emacs"). Changing
the StarupWMClass to "emacs" fixes the problem.

If someone from the elisp-team ppa is reading this list, I would suggest
keeping the capitalized Emacs StartupWMClass in the desktop files but
changing the wmclass in Wayland to "emacs".

--
Julien Cubizolles