Stefan Monnier writes: >> In any case, I do have a new test for tests/src/buffer-tests.el that >> crashes feature/noverlay Emacs immediately, when ENABLE_CHECKING is on, >> in a spot in itree.c having to do with offset inheritance. > > I tightened up a few things and the code now passes the tests without > crashing any more. Stefan, I now have four commits queued up on https://git.sr.ht/~matta/emacs/log/feature/noverlay These supercede my last message, and reflect the withdrawal of the diffs that add a new "overlays" configure time flag, as requested by Eli. We're still checking the entire tree unconditionally, but the code still has the height limiting logic in case it is needed. It also doubles as a spot check of the fuction that computes the max height of the tree given its size.