Rudolf Adamkovič writes: > Philip Kaludercic writes: > >> To avoid unnecessary an back and forth, pushing commits and reverting >> them, I have pushed the proposed changes to the >> "scratch/package-vc-fixes" branch, that I will rebase onto master when >> the changes are ready. If you have the time, try it out and see if >> the issues you had were resolved. > > I have just tried it, and below, I summarize my experience. > > Please note that I have not read any source code, nor followed the > dicussion word for word. Thus, I write my reports as a new user. > Hopefully, you find them useful. > > 1. Simplify the configuration. > > (add-hook 'after-init-hook > #'package-vc-install-selected-packages > -99) > > No `require', no `closure', no nothing. Beautiful. > > Restart Emacs. > > 2. Try "refreshing" (no) packages. > > M-x package-vc-refresh As we seem to use package.el in different ways, can you clarify what your intention is when invoking `package-vc-refresh'? The documentation string tries to clarify what is does, but perhaps the name is confusing: "Refresh the installation for package given by PKG-DESC. Refreshing an installation means scraping for new autoload cookies, re-compiling Emacs Lisp files, building and installing any documentation, downloading any missing dependencies. This command does not fetch new revisions from a remote server. That is the responsibility of `package-vc-update'. Interactively, prompt for the name of the package to refresh." Reload? Regenerate? Redo? > Got: > > completing-read-default: Wrong type argument: stringp, t Found an fixed the bug: