* why call it `cl-once-only'?
       [not found]           ` <874j7xzvgx.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2024-08-10  2:30             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2024-08-10  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Why does the construct `cl-once-only' have the prefix `cl'?
There is no `once-only' without the `cl'.

If this construct is worth having for the sake of programs written for
Emacs Lisp, and its definition is going to be present all the time, we
may as well add it with a simpler name.

* Re: why call it `cl-once-only'?
@ 2024-08-10  3:31               ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-08-10  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Why does the construct `cl-once-only' have the prefix `cl'?
> There is no `once-only' without the `cl'.

There is a lot of such stuff.

Including pretty ordinary stuff, for example no incf, decf,
pushnew or labels, but `cl-incf', `cl-decf', `cl-pushnew', and
`cl-labels'.

So I think "cl-" prefix denotes the package and library first,
and only second it is also used to disambiguate with old
school Elisp whenever needed. Since that won't have it
for sure.

> If this construct is worth having for the sake of programs
> written for Emacs Lisp, and its definition is going to be
> present all the time, we may as well add it with
> a simpler name.

It seems to be used 7 times in 2 different files in
core Emacs.

That's not so bad! I have a lot of stuff used 0 times in 0
files, hehe.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal