* Anyone here tracking Ilya's recent CPerl 5.X updates?
@ 2005-10-24 16:32 Andrew M. Scott
From: Andrew M. Scott @ 2005-10-24 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ilya Zakharevich has been soliciting feedback on his CPerl 5.X "alpha" on
comp.lang.perl.moderated, comp.emacs, gnu.emacs.help beginning Oct 18,
2005.

Ilya is his interim code on http://ilyaz.org/software/emacs

Is anyone here giving him regular CVS Emacs feedback? Byte-compiling
his version v5.10 (October 23, 2005) seems to indicate he might need
feedback on generalizing his VC code:

Compiling file /stor/garray/src/cperl-mode.el at Mon Oct 24 08:17:30 2005
cperl-mode.el:1403:38:Warning: `fboundp' called for effect
cperl-mode.el:2320:11:Warning: assignment to free variable
    `unread-command-event'
cperl-mode.el:2401:17:Warning: `fboundp' called for effect

In cperl-mode:
cperl-mode.el:3007:36:Warning: assignment to free variable
    `paren-backwards-message'
cperl-mode.el:3019:24:Warning: assignment to free variable `vc-sccs-header'
cperl-mode.el:3024:35:Warning: `vc-header-alist' is an obsolete variable; use
    `vc-BACKEND-header' instead.
cperl-mode.el:3112:6:Warning: `make-local-hook' is an obsolete function (as of
    Emacs 21.1); not necessary any more.

In cperl-indent-region:
cperl-mode.el:6026:4:Warning: `fboundp' called for effect

In cperl-info-on-command:
cperl-mode.el:7233:34:Warning: `beginning-of-buffer' used from Lisp code
That command is designed for interactive use only

In cperl-find-bad-style:
cperl-mode.el:8007:11:Warning: `beginning-of-buffer' used from Lisp code
That command is designed for interactive use only

In cperl-emulate-lazy-lock:
cperl-mode.el:9261:59:Warning: assignment to free variable
    `font-lock-cache-position'
cperl-mode.el:9301:6:Warning: `make-variable-buffer-local' should be called at
    toplevel
\f
Compiling no file at Mon Oct 24 08:30:25 2005

* Re: Anyone here tracking Ilya's recent CPerl 5.X updates?
@ 2005-10-24 17:40 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-10-24 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Ilya Zakharevich has been soliciting feedback on his CPerl 5.X "alpha" on
> comp.lang.perl.moderated, comp.emacs, gnu.emacs.help beginning Oct 18,
> 2005.

> Ilya is his interim code on http://ilyaz.org/software/emacs

> Is anyone here giving him regular CVS Emacs feedback? Byte-compiling
> his version v5.10 (October 23, 2005) seems to indicate he might need
> feedback on generalizing his VC code:

I don't use CPerl-mode, but I do try and follow its development to keep the
Emacs version up to date.  Currently all I've done is to install the version
5.2 and 5.7 on the separate ILYA branch, so I can ask CVs to do most of the
merge for me.  I'm waiting for things to stabilize before I install the new
code on the trunk.

Whenever I change something w.r.t his code I send him a note about it.
He doesn't always include the change in his version, because the change may
not be applicable to his case.

* Re: Anyone here tracking Ilya's recent CPerl 5.X updates?
@ 2005-10-30 14:52   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-10-30 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: amscott1, emacs-devel

    I don't use CPerl-mode, but I do try and follow its development to keep the
    Emacs version up to date.  Currently all I've done is to install the version
    5.2 and 5.7 on the separate ILYA branch, so I can ask CVs to do most of the
    merge for me.  I'm waiting for things to stabilize before I install the new
    code on the trunk.

What are the things that need to stabilize?  It would be very
good to merge this soon, since we seem to be making progress
towards the release, and it would be good to have a good CPerl mode
in it.  If it works much better than Perl mode, let's make it
the default mode for Perl.

* Re: Anyone here tracking Ilya's recent CPerl 5.X updates?
@ 2005-10-31 16:14     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-10-31 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: amscott1, emacs-devel

>     I don't use CPerl-mode, but I do try and follow its development to
>     keep the Emacs version up to date.  Currently all I've done is to
>     install the version 5.2 and 5.7 on the separate ILYA branch, so I can
>     ask CVs to do most of the merge for me.  I'm waiting for things to
>     stabilize before I install the new code on the trunk.

> What are the things that need to stabilize?  It would be very
> good to merge this soon, since we seem to be making progress
> towards the release, and it would be good to have a good CPerl mode
> in it.

The version 5.2 re-structured the font-lock-syntactic-keywords bit which
tries to take care of the screwy Perl syntax.  The intention is mostly to
make it (significantly) less slow, as well as slightly more featureful.
I expect this introduced various bugs, and it was indeed quickly followed by
a number of minor releases.

I'll upgrade our version of cperl-mode as soon as I find the time, since
I believe the upstream code has pretty much stabilized now.

> If it works much better than Perl mode, let's make it
> the default mode for Perl.

I must say I personally don't like cperl-mode, which is why I started
working on perl-mode.el (which now has some features which cperl-mode
doesn't, IIRC).

* Re: Anyone here tracking Ilya's recent CPerl 5.X updates?
@ 2005-10-31 18:49       ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2005-10-31 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The version 5.2 re-structured the font-lock-syntactic-keywords bit which
> tries to take care of the screwy Perl syntax.  The intention is mostly to
> make it (significantly) less slow, as well as slightly more featureful.
> I expect this introduced various bugs, and it was indeed quickly followed by
> a number of minor releases.
>
> I'll upgrade our version of cperl-mode as soon as I find the time, since
> I believe the upstream code has pretty much stabilized now.

FYI, I tried 5.10 recently and the GNU coding style seems to be broken.
I warned Ilya about it.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant