* SUSE users: Can anyone run GTK Emacs with wxGTK installed?
@ 2006-12-04 20:48 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2006-12-04 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I posted to the pretest-bug list about Emacs 22 built with GTK support
segfaulting after I installed wxGTK on SUSE 10.1, and Jan Djärv
suggested I recompile pango with debugging enabled to try to get more
information.  Before I take that step, I would be grateful if any SUSE
users who uses the GTK build of Emacs 22 could test this on their
system (preferably 10.1 or 10.0), so I can know whether this is a SUSE
problem or a local issue.  All you have to do is install the wxGTK rpm
and the see if you can start GTK Emacs (builds with other X11 toolkits
are not affected).  If Emacs segfaults, you just have to uninstall the
wxGTK rpm, and Emacs should start again as usual.  (However, don't
build and install wxGTK from source: I did that in the hope of solving
this problem, but the Makefile has an empty uninstall target and even
after deleting all wx* files by hand, I still cannot start GTK Emacs,
and haven't gotten anywhere yet trying to find out why.)  I would
appreciate any and all feedback.

Steve Berman

* Re: SUSE users: Can anyone run GTK Emacs with wxGTK installed?
@ 2006-12-04 23:38 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2006-12-04 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:

> Before I take that step, I would be grateful if any SUSE users who uses
> the GTK build of Emacs 22 could test this on their system (preferably
> 10.1 or 10.0), so I can know whether this is a SUSE problem or a local
> issue.

I can't test 10.[01], but on 10.2 there is no problem starting Emacs while
wxGTK is installed.

Andreas.

* Re: SUSE users: Can anyone run GTK Emacs with wxGTK installed?
@ 2006-12-05 10:08 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2006-12-05 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:

> I posted to the pretest-bug list about Emacs 22 built with GTK support
> segfaulting after I installed wxGTK on SUSE 10.1, and Jan Djärv
> suggested I recompile pango with debugging enabled to try to get more
> information.  Before I take that step, I would be grateful if any SUSE
> users who uses the GTK build of Emacs 22 could test this on their
> system (preferably 10.1 or 10.0), so I can know whether this is a SUSE
> problem or a local issue.

You aren't by any chance running gtk-qt-engine as gtk-theme? (default in
some SUSE-Systems). this crashes my Emacs frequently.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: SUSE users: Can anyone run GTK Emacs with wxGTK installed?
@ 2006-12-05 12:27   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2006-12-05 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:38:00 +0100 Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Before I take that step, I would be grateful if any SUSE users who uses
>> the GTK build of Emacs 22 could test this on their system (preferably
>> 10.1 or 10.0), so I can know whether this is a SUSE problem or a local
>> issue.
>
> I can't test 10.[01], but on 10.2 there is no problem starting Emacs while
> wxGTK is installed.

Well, that's something positive to look forward to :-), but 10.2
contains a different version of wxGTK, so I still don't know if my
problem is due to the wxGTK in 10.1 or some local configuration.  Do
you happen to know whether wxGTK changes any pango or fontconfig
related files, and if so which?  I ask because, as I mentioned,
although uninstalling the wxGTK binary rpm made Emacs-GTK start
normally again, when I compiled and installed wxGTK myself, and then
manually deleted the installed files, Emacs-GTK still segfaulted (and
unfortunately still does).

From: Stephen Berman @ 2006-12-05 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:08:06 +0100 Frank Schmitt <ich@frank-schmitt.net> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I posted to the pretest-bug list about Emacs 22 built with GTK support
>> segfaulting after I installed wxGTK on SUSE 10.1, and Jan Djärv
>> suggested I recompile pango with debugging enabled to try to get more
>> information.  Before I take that step, I would be grateful if any SUSE
>> users who uses the GTK build of Emacs 22 could test this on their
>> system (preferably 10.1 or 10.0), so I can know whether this is a SUSE
>> problem or a local issue.
>
> You aren't by any chance running gtk-qt-engine as gtk-theme? (default in
> some SUSE-Systems). this crashes my Emacs frequently.

In fact I am using gtk-qt-engine, but I was also using it before I
installed wxGTK and AFAIK it was not responsible for any previous
Emacs crashes I've seen.  (I'm not using the gtk-qt-engine from SUSE,
though, because that has a (longstanding) problem with the window
color of GTK Emacs.  This problem disappeared after building
gtk-qt-engine from CVS sources.)

@ 2006-12-05 12:45     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2006-12-05 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:

> Do you happen to know whether wxGTK changes any pango or fontconfig
> related files, and if so which?

Sorry, I don't know anything about wxGTK.

Andreas.