* Separate directory for Org-mode
@ 2007-11-06  5:55 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-11-06  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Bastien

Hi,

Org-mode currently consists of the following files
(numbers are file sizes):

     43103 org-export-latex.el
     3108   org-install.el
     38188 org-mouse.el    ; not yet in Emacs, but papers are signed..
     22162 org-publish.el
1005694 org.el

- org.el is huge, and I am considering to break it up into smaller files

- a number of excellent extensions have recently been written, mostly
   by Bastien Guerry.  Several of these deserve to be part of Org-mode.

Here is my request:

- could we have a separate directory lisp/textmodes/org for
   better organization in the future, with more files.

- could Bastien get write access to Emacs to help me maintain
   this growing package?  We have already asked for this,
   but were told we should wait until there is more stuff Bastien
   has written.  He has, effectively, become an important
   developer for org, I think it would streamline things if he
   would have direct access.

Thanks.

Carsten

* Re: Separate directory for Org-mode
@ 2007-11-06 10:44 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-11-06 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-devel

On 11/6/07, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> - could we have a separate directory lisp/textmodes/org for
>    better organization in the future, with more files.

If done, I think lisp/org would be preferable to lisp/textmodes/org.

IIRC, Richard once said that the threshold for a package having its
own dir was about a dozen files, and currently we don't have any with
less than 26:

           gnus: 150
      progmodes:  80
      textmodes:  48
           calc:  42
       language:  39
  international:  39
            net:  35
            erc:  34
           mail:  32
           term:  31
            url:  30
         eshell:  30
           play:  29
       calendar:  27
      emulation:  26
           mh-e:  26
       obsolete:  26

Perhaps a directory with things related to planning (including org and
remember.el) would be better?

             Juanma

* Re: Separate directory for Org-mode
@ 2007-11-06 11:34   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-11-06 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-devel

OK, we definitely don't have 12 files yet, so lets wait with this.

- Carsten

@ 2007-11-06 12:17   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-11-06 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-11-06 10:44 +0000, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On 11/6/07, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> - could we have a separate directory lisp/textmodes/org for
>>    better organization in the future, with more files.
>
> If done, I think lisp/org would be preferable to lisp/textmodes/org.
>
> IIRC, Richard once said that the threshold for a package having its
> own dir was about a dozen files, and currently we don't have any with
> less than 26:
>
>            gnus: 150
>       progmodes:  80
>       textmodes:  48
>            calc:  42
>        language:  39
>   international:  39
>             net:  35
>             erc:  34
>            mail:  32
>            term:  31
>             url:  30
>          eshell:  30
>            play:  29
>        calendar:  27
>       emulation:  26
>            mh-e:  26
>        obsolete:  26
>
> Perhaps a directory with things related to planning (including org and
> remember.el) would be better?
>
>              Juanma

A directory "pim" for personal information manager might be suitable.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

       Use the most powerful email client -- http://gnus.org/

* Re: Separate directory for Org-mode
@ 2007-11-07  0:15 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-07  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: bzg, emacs-devel

    - could we have a separate directory lisp/textmodes/org for
       better organization in the future, with more files.

We want to avoid multiplying subdirectories unnecessarily.  If it is a
lot of files, we would make a separate directory.  For a handful of
files, as in cc-*.el, we would rather keep them in the existing
directory.

    - could Bastien get write access to Emacs to help me maintain
       this growing package?

Ok.  Bastien, please apply for write access
and someone will turn it on.

* Re: Separate directory for Org-mode
@ 2007-11-07  3:13   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-07  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     - could Bastien get write access to Emacs to help me maintain
>        this growing package?
>
> Ok.  Bastien, please apply for write access
> and someone will turn it on.

Done, thanks.

I also applied to the emacs-commit and emacs-diffs mailing lists in
order to monitor changes that might be applied to Org by other Emacs
maintainers.

--
Bastien

* Re: Separate directory for Org-mode
@ 2007-11-07  7:56   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-07  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: bzg, emacs-devel, carsten.dominik

    IIRC, Richard once said that the threshold for a package having its
    own dir was about a dozen files,

I'd prefer a minimum of around 20 source files.