From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
To: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
Cc: Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>,
	Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: your vc-hg.el change
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:01:08 -0500	[thread overview]

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

>> when there is no equivalent in the other VC backends.
>
> Apart from arch, svn, and bzr.

Aha, I didn't see those.  It's certainly unfortunate that this kind of
discrepancy exists between the various VC backends, and this needs to be
cleaned up.  (A related problem: the different options that provide
diff-switches for the various backends.)

Actually, I thought of one other reason not to hardcode VC commands.
Some distributions are in the habit of providing different versions of
certain programs under different executable names, e.g. Debian provides
gcc-4.1, gcc-4.2, gcc-4.3; "gcc" itself is a symlink to the latest
installed version, but you can use the other executables if you wish.
But I don't think this currently applies to any VC system, as far as I
know (again, I haven't checked for all the different VC systems).

However, this is not an urgent matter, so let's leave matters as they
stand, with the vc-hg change reverted.  We can come back to this after
the release.