* behavior of dired-hide-*
@ 2010-02-27 16:35 Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-02-27 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,
what is the behavior of $ and M-$ in dired?

It seem to me, according to manual  that the first is to hide directory
at point and  the second is to hide all directories in current dired buffer.

It hide all for me (files and dirs) and leave only the first line of
dired buffer (the directory header).(the two commands $ and M-$ do the
same).

Can you confirm if that is normal or not?

Seem a bug to me.

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: behavior of dired-hide-*
@ 2010-03-02 19:40 ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2010-03-02 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-devel

> It seem to me, according to manual  that the first is to hide directory
> at point and  the second is to hide all directories in current dired
> buffer.

That's correct, but from what follows I suppose you misunderstand what the
documentation for those commands means by "a directory".  A Dired buffer
can list the contents of multiple directories (not just list, one per
line, each of the subdirectories of a single directory).  $ and M-$
manipulate which of these listings is displayed, rather than affecting the
display of any one file (which might happen to be a directory file).

> It hide all for me (files and dirs) and leave only the first line of
> dired buffer (the directory header).(the two commands $ and M-$ do the
> same).

When you only have one directory listed (which is the normal starting
case), they are the same.

Davis

shipping.

* Re: behavior of dired-hide-*
@ 2010-03-02 20:26   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-03-02 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Thanks for your answer,

"Davis Herring" <herring@lanl.gov> writes:

>> It seem to me, according to manual  that the first is to hide directory
>> at point and  the second is to hide all directories in current dired
>> buffer.
>
> That's correct, but from what follows I suppose you misunderstand what the
> documentation for those commands means by "a directory".  A Dired buffer
> can list the contents of multiple directories (not just list, one per
> line, each of the subdirectories of a single directory).  $ and M-$
> manipulate which of these listings is displayed, rather than affecting the
> display of any one file (which might happen to be a directory file).

Yes, i don't understand what is a directory according to the behavior of
this command:
What the $ dired command should do when i run it on the root (/) of my
system and the cursor is on say /bin?
Actually it hide all, and and M-$ does the same.

So what these $ and M-$ are for?

for me actually, they hide all files and subdirs in all case.

>> It hide all for me (files and dirs) and leave only the first line of
>> dired buffer (the directory header).(the two commands $ and M-$ do the
>> same).
>
> When you only have one directory listed (which is the normal starting
> case), they are the same.

Sorry for my difficulty to understand that, but that still very unclear
for me.

Here a directory:(is it?)

,----
|   /etc:
|   total used in directory 2120 available 8350832
|   drwxr-xr-x 90 root    root  12288 Mar  2 20:52 .
|   drwxr-xr-x 21 root    root   4096 Mar  6  2009 ..
|   -rw-------  1 root    root      0 Apr 20  2007 .pwd.lock
|   -rw-r--r--  1 root    root  65265 Oct 24 20:55 ANYTHING-TAG-FILE
|   drwxr-xr-x  4 root    root   4096 Feb 16  2009 ConsoleKit
|   -rw-r--r--  1 root    root   4468 Oct 23 14:06 DIR_COLORS
|   drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root   4096 Dec 20 14:45 RCS
|   drwxr-xr-x  6 root    root   4096 Dec 11 09:47 X11
|   drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root   4096 Jan 29 16:11 abcde
|   drwxr-xr-x  4 root    root   4096 Feb 24 11:19 acpi
`----

What should show $ if my cursor is on say Consolekit (a subdirectory of
/etc right?) ?

What should show M-$ (cursor anywhere)?

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: behavior of dired-hide-*
@ 2010-03-02 21:59     ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2010-03-02 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-devel

> What should show $ if my cursor is on say Consolekit (a subdirectory of
> /etc right?) ?

Try putting point there and typing
  i $
or
  i M-$
and all should (start to) become clear.  You might also try (in a small
but non-trivial tree)
  C-u s R RET M-$ $

Davis

shipping.

* Re: behavior of dired-hide-*
@ 2010-03-02 22:13       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-03-02 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: herring; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Davis Herring" <herring@lanl.gov> writes:

>> What should show $ if my cursor is on say Consolekit (a subdirectory of
>> /etc right?) ?
>
> Try putting point there and typing
>   i $
> or
>   i M-$
> and all should (start to) become clear.  You might also try (in a small
> but non-trivial tree)
>   C-u s R RET M-$ $

Very clear, thanks a lot for your patience. ;-)

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: behavior of dired-hide-*
@ 2010-03-03  7:33         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-03-03  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> "Davis Herring" <herring@lanl.gov> writes:
>
>>> What should show $ if my cursor is on say Consolekit (a subdirectory of
>>> /etc right?) ?
>>
>> Try putting point there and typing
>>   i $
>> or
>>   i M-$
>> and all should (start to) become clear.  You might also try (in a small
>> but non-trivial tree)
>>   C-u s R RET M-$ $
>
> Very clear, thanks a lot for your patience. ;-)

BTW the manual should mention i in the doc of $/M-$ ans $/M-$ in the doc
of i.
Or insert examples similar to the one above.

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/