* Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-09  9:58 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-09  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

IMO, the changes introduced with revno 101857 do more trouble than
the problem they are supposed to solve.

I understand the need to ease the maintenance burden, and support the
measures to do so.  But I think the means chosen in this case are not
well thought out, to say the least.  For starters, this breaks the
Windows build:

  make[1]: Entering directory `D:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
  makeinfo --force emacs.texi
  emacs.texi:8: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
  emacs.texi:32: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
  emacs.texi:102: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
  emacs.texi:113: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
  D:\gnu\bzr\emacs\trunk\doc\emacs//anti.texi:12: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
  make[1]: *** [../../info/emacs] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
  make: *** [info-gmake] Error 2

What's worse, I don't know how to solve this cleanly without requiring
the end users to have a port of Sed installed.  That's because the way
emacsver.texi gets created is by using a string generated by the
configure script that edits src/emacs.c with Sed.

More importantly, I don't understand what is the plan here.  Are we
going to introduce similar handling into all the other places where
the version string is used?  If not, why bother with this one alone,
when we already have a Lisp program to update them all when a release
is tarred?

If we are going to do something similar in other places, then let's
devise a machinery that could be easily ported to non-Posix platforms,
because at least some of these places are specific to those platforms.
Such changes should be at least discussed first and the blueprints
posted, to make sure all the aspects are understood and solutions
exists on all supported platforms.

I actually don't understand what's wrong with admin/admin.el that
requires to change the way we set version strings in the files that
need it.  If there are any disadvantages in admin.el, can they be
spelled out, please?

In addition, these changes have 2 smaller problems:

 . the file emacsver.texi.in violates the file-name restrictions on
   DOS filesystems, so it should be renamed to something like
   emacsver.in

 . the changes remove the arch-tag from several files -- what is the
   story here?

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-09 18:08 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-10-09 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> IMO, the changes introduced with revno 101857 do more trouble than
> the problem they are supposed to solve.

I already changed it for different reasons.

>  . the file emacsver.texi.in violates the file-name restrictions on
>    DOS filesystems, so it should be renamed to something like
>    emacsver.in

File no longer exists.

>  . the changes remove the arch-tag from several files -- what is the
>    story here?

The arch tags are no longer used, I'm removing them whenever I
remember to.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/70147

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-09 21:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-09 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 14:08:13 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > IMO, the changes introduced with revno 101857 do more trouble than
> > the problem they are supposed to solve.
>
> I already changed it for different reasons.

Thank you.  I updated the Windows scripts accordingly.

> The arch tags are no longer used, I'm removing them whenever I
> remember to.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/70147

That should have been announced on emacs-devel, IMO.  Anyway, thanks
for the pointer.

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-24 19:59 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2010-10-24 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> IMO, the changes introduced with revno 101857 do more trouble than
> the problem they are supposed to solve.
>
> I understand the need to ease the maintenance burden, and support the
> measures to do so.  But I think the means chosen in this case are not
> well thought out, to say the least.  For starters, this breaks the
> Windows build:
>
>   make[1]: Entering directory `D:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
>   makeinfo --force emacs.texi
>   emacs.texi:8: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
>   emacs.texi:32: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
>   emacs.texi:102: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
>   emacs.texi:113: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
>   D:\gnu\bzr\emacs\trunk\doc\emacs//anti.texi:12: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
>   make[1]: *** [../../info/emacs] Error 1
>   make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
>   make: *** [info-gmake] Error 2

So is the problem that EMACSVER shouldn't be used, or that something
caused emacsver.texi to disappear?

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-24 21:38   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-24 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

> From: Jay Belanger <jay.p.belanger@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 14:59:03 -0500
> Cc: jay.p.belanger@gmail.com
>
> >   make[1]: Entering directory `D:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
> >   makeinfo --force emacs.texi
> >   emacs.texi:8: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
> >   emacs.texi:32: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
> >   emacs.texi:102: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
> >   emacs.texi:113: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
> >   D:\gnu\bzr\emacs\trunk\doc\emacs//anti.texi:12: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
> >   make[1]: *** [../../info/emacs] Error 1
> >   make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
> >   make: *** [info-gmake] Error 2
>
> So is the problem that EMACSVER shouldn't be used, or that something
> caused emacsver.texi to disappear?

Glenn fixed that soon after this, but since you asked: the plan was to
generate emacsver.texi from emacsver.texi.in.  However, the Windows
port's Makefiles were not adapted to the change, so there was no
emacsver.texi by the time makeinfo was invoked, and that triggered all
the error messages.

Again, this problem is long gone now.

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-24 21:59     ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2010-10-24 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> Again, this problem is long gone now.

Thanks; I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do anything to bring it
back (which, you've assured me, I'm in no danger of doing).

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-30  8:30     ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2010-10-30  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

 >>>   make[1]: Entering directory `D:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
 >>>   makeinfo --force emacs.texi
 >>>   emacs.texi:8: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
 >>>   emacs.texi:32: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
 >>>   emacs.texi:102: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
 >>>   emacs.texi:113: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
 >>>   D:\gnu\bzr\emacs\trunk\doc\emacs//anti.texi:12: warning: undefined flag: EMACSVER.
 >>>   make[1]: *** [../../info/emacs] Error 1
 >>>   make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
 >>>   make: *** [info-gmake] Error 2
 >> So is the problem that EMACSVER shouldn't be used, or that something
 >> caused emacsver.texi to disappear?
 >
 > Glenn fixed that soon after this, but since you asked: the plan was to
 > generate emacsver.texi from emacsver.texi.in.  However, the Windows
 > port's Makefiles were not adapted to the change, so there was no
 > emacsver.texi by the time makeinfo was invoked, and that triggered all
 > the error messages.
 >
 > Again, this problem is long gone now.

I'm somewhat confused since I (occasionally ?) still get something like
the following

C:\emacs\trunk\nt>make info
make   -C ../doc/emacs info
make[1]: Entering directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `info'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
make   -C ../doc/misc info
make[1]: Entering directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/misc'
makeinfo --force gnus.texi
makeinfo --force calc.texi
calc.texi:10: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
make[1]: *** [../../info/calc] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/misc'
make: *** [info-gmake] Error 2

with this morning's checkout.  Any clues?

martin

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-30 13:16       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-30 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:30:41 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> CC: jay.p.belanger@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I'm somewhat confused since I (occasionally ?) still get something like
> the following
>
> C:\emacs\trunk\nt>make info
> make   -C ../doc/emacs info
> make[1]: Entering directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `info'.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
> make   -C ../doc/misc info
> make[1]: Entering directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/misc'
> makeinfo --force gnus.texi
> makeinfo --force calc.texi
> calc.texi:10: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
> make[1]: *** [../../info/calc] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/misc'
> make: *** [info-gmake] Error 2
>
> with this morning's checkout.  Any clues?

My crystal ball says you didn't run nt/configure.bat after checkout.

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-30 14:49         ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2010-10-30 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

> My crystal ball says you didn't run nt/configure.bat after checkout.

I've run configure and make bootstrap before.

BTW, if I run make info a second time it apparently succeeds.

martin

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-30 15:27           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-30 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 16:49:02 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> CC: jay.p.belanger@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > My crystal ball says you didn't run nt/configure.bat after checkout.
>
> I've run configure and make bootstrap before.

That's weird.  I'm probably missing something.

doc/misc/makefile.w32-in says:

    emacsdir = $(srcdir)/../emacs
    MAKEINFO = makeinfo --force -I$(emacsdir)
    $(infodir)/calc: calc.texi $(emacsdir)/emacsver.texi
	    $(MAKEINFO) calc.texi

However, your "make info" shows this:

   makeinfo --force calc.texi

So obviously, somehow, the "-I$(emacsdir)" part in $(MAKEINFO) got
dropped.  Can you see why this happens on your system?

> BTW, if I run make info a second time it apparently succeeds.

Even more weird.

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-30 17:01             ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2010-10-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > doc/misc/makefile.w32-in says:
 >
 >     emacsdir = $(srcdir)/../emacs
 >     MAKEINFO = makeinfo --force -I$(emacsdir)
 >     $(infodir)/calc: calc.texi $(emacsdir)/emacsver.texi
 > 	    $(MAKEINFO) calc.texi

Exact.

 > However, your "make info" shows this:
 >
 >    makeinfo --force calc.texi
 >
 > So obviously, somehow, the "-I$(emacsdir)" part in $(MAKEINFO) got
 > dropped.  Can you see why this happens on your system?

Sorry, I don't have the slightest idea how to do that :-(

BTW, I use makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.8.

martin

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-30 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:01:06 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  > However, your "make info" shows this:
>  >
>  >    makeinfo --force calc.texi
>  >
>  > So obviously, somehow, the "-I$(emacsdir)" part in $(MAKEINFO) got
>  > dropped.  Can you see why this happens on your system?
>
> Sorry, I don't have the slightest idea how to do that :-(
>
> BTW, I use makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.8.

makeinfo cannot be the factor here.  But Make (and sh.exe, if you have
it) can.  Which ones do you have, and what versions are they?

Also, can you show all the messages from a pair of "make info"
invocations, whereby the first fails while the second succeeds?

Finally, do you perhaps have MAKEINFO set in the environment?

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-30 17:57                 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2010-10-30 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > makeinfo cannot be the factor here.  But Make (and sh.exe, if you have
 > it) can.  Which ones do you have, and what versions are they?

Make is GNU Make 3.81 built for i686-pc-mingw32.

and I'm running make info from XP's cmd.exe.

 > Also, can you show all the messages from a pair of "make info"
 > invocations, whereby the first fails while the second succeeds?

IIUC the first run with the error message does build the calc info files
and stops after the error message.  The second run then builds the
remaining info files.  If I now remove the calc info files and rerun
"make info" I get the same error message again.

 > Finally, do you perhaps have MAKEINFO set in the environment?

My makeinfo is in

C:\Programme\Gnuwin32\bin\makeinfo.EXE

and the _directory_ is in the path if it's that what you mean.  The
executable is not.

martin

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-30 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:57:53 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  > makeinfo cannot be the factor here.  But Make (and sh.exe, if you have
>  > it) can.  Which ones do you have, and what versions are they?
>
> Make is GNU Make 3.81 built for i686-pc-mingw32.

That should be good.

> and I'm running make info from XP's cmd.exe.

That's not what I meant.  If you have sh.exe somewhere on PATH, Make
will use it to run commands (although it shouldn't in this case).

>  > Also, can you show all the messages from a pair of "make info"
>  > invocations, whereby the first fails while the second succeeds?
>
> IIUC the first run with the error message does build the calc info files
> and stops after the error message.  The second run then builds the
> remaining info files.  If I now remove the calc info files and rerun
> "make info" I get the same error message again.

So it's not like it succeeds the second time, it always fails for
you.  It's just that the --force switch forces it to build the Info
manual regardless of the error.

>  > Finally, do you perhaps have MAKEINFO set in the environment?
>
> My makeinfo is in
>
> C:\Programme\Gnuwin32\bin\makeinfo.EXE
>
> and the _directory_ is in the path if it's that what you mean.  The
> executable is not.

No, I meant to ask if there's an environment variable named MAKEINFO
set on your machine.  What does "set MAKEINFO" display if you type it
from cmd and hit Enter?

Also, do you see the same error message if you touch faq.texi and then
run "make info"?

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-30 20:50                     ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2010-10-30 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > That's not what I meant.  If you have sh.exe somewhere on PATH, Make
 > will use it to run commands (although it shouldn't in this case).

I have no sh.exe on PATH or elsewhere.

 > So it's not like it succeeds the second time, it always fails for
 > you.  It's just that the --force switch forces it to build the Info
 > manual regardless of the error.

But it somehow stops after the error the first time and builds the
remaining files only the second time (at least I think so).

 > No, I meant to ask if there's an environment variable named MAKEINFO
 > set on your machine.  What does "set MAKEINFO" display if you type it
 > from cmd and hit Enter?

It tells me that the variable is not defined.

 > Also, do you see the same error message if you touch faq.texi and then
 > run "make info"?

After removing the calc info files I see

C:\emacs\trunk\nt>make info
make   -C ../doc/emacs info
make[1]: Entering directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `info'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/emacs'
make   -C ../doc/misc info
make[1]: Entering directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/misc'
makeinfo --force -I./../emacs faq.texi
makeinfo --force calc.texi
calc.texi:10: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
make[1]: *** [../../info/calc] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/misc'
make: *** [info-gmake] Error 2

C:\emacs\trunk\nt>

Touching calc.texi doesn't change anything BTW (I'm completely ignorant
in this regard).

martin

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
       [not found]                         ` <4CCC9EF8.9040507@gmx.at>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-30 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:50:23 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  > So it's not like it succeeds the second time, it always fails for
>  > you.  It's just that the --force switch forces it to build the Info
>  > manual regardless of the error.
>
> But it somehow stops after the error the first time and builds the
> remaining files only the second time (at least I think so).

Because makeinfo exits with an error status, and Make stops.  IOW,
using the --force switch to makeinfo prevents it from deleting the
produced Info file, but does not prevent it from returning an exit
status that indicates an error.

> make   -C ../doc/misc info
> make[1]: Entering directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/misc'
> makeinfo --force -I./../emacs faq.texi
> makeinfo --force calc.texi
> calc.texi:10: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
> make[1]: *** [../../info/calc] Error 1

That's definitely an old makefile, from before the latest changes to
makefile.w32-in: the command for faq.texi includes the -I switch,
while the command for calc.texi does not.  Please show the full
doc/misc/makefile you have.  Also, please look into the doc/misc
directory and tell which files you have there that match the wildcard
"*make*" (e.g. "dir *make*" should show that).

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-30 21:20                         ` Jay Belanger
       [not found]                         ` <4CCC9EF8.9040507@gmx.at>
From: Jay Belanger @ 2010-10-30 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: martin rudalics, jay.p.belanger, emacs-devel

>> make   -C ../doc/misc info
>> make[1]: Entering directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/misc'
>> makeinfo --force -I./../emacs faq.texi
>> makeinfo --force calc.texi
>> calc.texi:10: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
>> make[1]: *** [../../info/calc] Error 1
>
> That's definitely an old makefile, from before the latest changes to
> makefile.w32-in: the command for faq.texi includes the -I switch,
> while the command for calc.texi does not.

When I changed calc.texi to use emacsver.texi, I added the line
  @include ../emacs/emacsver.texi
I noticed that faq.texi used emacsver.texi and didn't add the
"../emacs/" prefix to the include statement.  It worked fine when I
tested it out (on a GNU/Linux system); perhaps for some reason that was
the wrong thing to do for Windows.

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-30 22:02                           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-30 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: rudalics, emacs-devel

> From: Jay Belanger <jay.p.belanger@gmail.com>
> Cc: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> CC: jay.p.belanger@gmail.com
> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 16:20:16 -0500
>

> >> make   -C ../doc/misc info
> >> make[1]: Entering directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/misc'
> >> makeinfo --force -I./../emacs faq.texi
> >> makeinfo --force calc.texi
> >> calc.texi:10: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
> >> make[1]: *** [../../info/calc] Error 1
> >
> > That's definitely an old makefile, from before the latest changes to
> > makefile.w32-in: the command for faq.texi includes the -I switch,
> > while the command for calc.texi does not.
>
> When I changed calc.texi to use emacsver.texi, I added the line
>   @include ../emacs/emacsver.texi
> I noticed that faq.texi used emacsver.texi and didn't add the
> "../emacs/" prefix to the include statement.  It worked fine when I
> tested it out (on a GNU/Linux system); perhaps for some reason that was
> the wrong thing to do for Windows.

It works on GNU/Linux because doc/misc/Makefile.in adds the -I../emacs
switch to the `makeinfo' command line; this eliminates the need for
the prefix.  It should work on Windows as well, because
doc/misc/makefile.w32-in does the same.  I'm guessing that the above
problem is due to something local on Martin's system, because it works
for me, and no one else complained until now.

@ 2010-10-31  3:59                           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-31  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 00:40:56 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
>
> >> make   -C ../doc/misc info
> >> make[1]: Entering directory `C:/emacs/trunk/doc/misc'
> >> makeinfo --force -I./../emacs faq.texi
> >> makeinfo --force calc.texi
> >> calc.texi:10: @include `emacsver.texi': No such file or directory.
> >> make[1]: *** [../../info/calc] Error 1
> >
> > That's definitely an old makefile, from before the latest changes to
> > makefile.w32-in: the command for faq.texi includes the -I switch,
> > while the command for calc.texi does not.  Please show the full
> > doc/misc/makefile you have.  Also, please look into the doc/misc
> > directory and tell which files you have there that match the wildcard
> > "*make*" (e.g. "dir *make*" should show that).
>
> Didn't want to put them on emacs-devel.
>
> They are from October 25, 28, and 30 respectively.

Which one is from what date?

There's certainly some kind of problem, in that your makefile is not
updated.  It still says

    # The makeinfo program is part of the Texinfo distribution.
    MAKEINFO = makeinfo --force

while makefile.w32-in says

    # The makeinfo program is part of the Texinfo distribution.
    MAKEINFO = makeinfo --force -I$(emacsdir)

Either something in nt/configure.bat doesn't work, or you didn't run
it correctly.  Please remove the "@echo off" line from configure.bat
and see what happens around this part:

    copy /b config.settings+%MAKECMD%.defs+..\doc\misc\makefile.w32-in ..\doc\misc\makefile

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-31  8:18                             ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2010-10-31  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > There's certainly some kind of problem, in that your makefile is not
 > updated.  It still says
 >
 >     # The makeinfo program is part of the Texinfo distribution.
 >     MAKEINFO = makeinfo --force
 >
 > while makefile.w32-in says
 >
 >     # The makeinfo program is part of the Texinfo distribution.
 >     MAKEINFO = makeinfo --force -I$(emacsdir)

Yes.

 > Either something in nt/configure.bat doesn't work, or you didn't run
 > it correctly.  Please remove the "@echo off" line from configure.bat
 > and see what happens around this part:
 >
 >     copy /b config.settings+%MAKECMD%.defs+..\doc\misc\makefile.w32-in ..\doc\misc\makefile

The following happened meanwhile: I've rerun configure another time with
"@echo off" left in and now it worked.  I don't have the slightest idea
what happened.  I've run configure / bootstrap on a daily basis over the
past week.  So I suppose doing what you told me isn't of much use any
more - the makefile seems good now.

But I still have the bug in my branch which also contains the same bad
makefile I sent you earlier.  That's a makefile dated from 2010-10-30.
I suppose the plain fact that a makefile has that date should indicate
that something _did_ go wrong during configure (I've not done bzr update
on the trunk nor bzr merge on the branch since that).

Now how can configure have created a bad makefile yesterday and a good
one today?  Do you have any idea how to resolve that mystery?  Is it
possible that touching one of these files in the trunk has caused
configure do something different?  If so, what can I do to avoid having
a Schrödinger effect on the branch too.  I shall leave trunk and branch
untouched for the moment.

martin

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-31 11:04                               ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-31 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:18:33 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Now how can configure have created a bad makefile yesterday and a good
> one today?  Do you have any idea how to resolve that mystery?

The only thing I can think of is that somehow doc/misc/makefile was
open in another program, in which case Windows will not let
configure.bat overwrite it.  Or something similar.  But I think in
that case configure.bat should have either asked whether to overwrite
the file or produce an error message.

IOW, I'm stumped.

> Is it possible that touching one of these files in the trunk has
> caused configure do something different?

Don't think so.  This part of configure.bat does not check for files'
existence or up-to-dateness, it blindly overwrites them.

> But I still have the bug in my branch which also contains the same bad
> makefile I sent you earlier.

And if you run configure.bat there, does the problem go away there as
well?

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-31 11:26                                 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2010-10-31 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

 >> Now how can configure have created a bad makefile yesterday and a good
 >> one today?  Do you have any idea how to resolve that mystery?
 >
 > The only thing I can think of is that somehow doc/misc/makefile was
 > open in another program, in which case Windows will not let
 > configure.bat overwrite it.  Or something similar.  But I think in
 > that case configure.bat should have either asked whether to overwrite
 > the file or produce an error message.

I'm 100% sure that this did _not_ happen.

 >> But I still have the bug in my branch which also contains the same bad
 >> makefile I sent you earlier.
 >
 > And if you run configure.bat there, does the problem go away there as
 > well?

Apparently, building right now (I was not sure whether I should run
configure in case the old makefile could still have told us something).

Remains one issue I'm not entirely sure about.  According to an advice
by Juanma I usually run (and also did run now)

bzr clean-tree --unknown --ignored --detritus --force

in the source directory which should remove the makefiles (IIUC).  Maybe
I forgot to do that the past times, the makefiles persisted, and were
not overwritten (but touched somehow).  Unlikely, I know ...

martin

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-31 11:56                                   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2010-10-31 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 12:26, martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> wrote:

> bzr clean-tree --unknown --ignored --detritus --force
>
> in the source directory which should remove the makefiles (IIUC).

And everything else in the working tree, except the checkout...

    Juanma

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-31 13:09                                     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-31 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: rudalics, emacs-devel

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:56:37 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 12:26, martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > bzr clean-tree --unknown --ignored --detritus --force
> >
> > in the source directory which should remove the makefiles (IIUC).
>
> And everything else in the working tree, except the checkout...

Doing this shouldn't hurt, but is not required for the makefiles,
because configure.bat simply overwrites them.

IOW, this cannot be the solution to the mystery.

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-31 13:27                                       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2010-10-31 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rudalics, emacs-devel

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 14:09, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Doing this shouldn't hurt, but is not required for the makefiles,
> because configure.bat simply overwrites them.

Yes. I only do clean-tree for bootstraps, not before "make info".

    Juanma

* Re: Set the version number in the texinfo manuals using configure
@ 2010-10-31 15:17                                         ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2010-10-31 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

 > Yes. I only do clean-tree for bootstraps, not before "make info".

My usual sequence now is

clean-tree, configure, make bootstrap, make info, make install

so I never did

clean-tree followed by make info.

martin