On 2021-04-27, 19:53 +0300, Juri Linkov wrote: >> In outline: >> >> + The Completions' buffer is (setq completions-format 'one-column). >> [...] >> >> The overall experience is good to the point where I do not miss other >> interactive UIs. And I feel that it could be improved further though I >> am not there yet skills-wise. > > Thanks for sharing your settings. Such UI using the default Completions buffer > is long awaited. Recently we tried to do something similar with a new mode > zcomplete-mode. But it would be better to implement most enhancements > in minibuffer.el where additional features could be enabled with new options. > Then zcomplete-mode could just enable these options, like e.g. recently added > icomplete-vertical-mode tweaks icomplete options to build new UI. I think those issues are best decided by you and/or the other maintainers. To facilitate this exchange, I attach a shortened version of my extensions without requiring any external libraries (what I wrote before stands---you are welcome to improve upon it if you want, as I still have a lot to learn). Put those in the scratch buffer of emacs -Q, 'M-x eval-buffer' and then try 'C-h v RET mini' to get an idea of how it works (I implement a minimum input threshold). I also attach the original file, prot-minibuffer.el, and here is the section with my configurations for it: . If something is unclear, please let me know. [ I just noticed a bug in my code when (setq completions-detailed t) where prot-minibuffer-previous-completion-or-mini does not do what it is supposed to---will fix it later. ] >> I attach a screenshot, though I understand this does not say that much. > > Looks nice. One thing is unclear: the format of buffers is like > in the output of 'C-x C-b' (list-buffers) that uses tabulated-list > to print buffer information. Are these buffers in the Completions buffer > formatted with tabulated-list as well? That is done by the Marginalia library, which I think is a nice extra: . No, the mode does not change to tabulated-list. Daniel Mendler (in cc) is one of its maintainers and can elaborate on the technicalities. -- Protesilaos Stavrou https://protesilaos.com