[recip list trimmed] () Stefan Monnier () Wed, 01 Dec 2021 13:46:52 -0500 The Linux kernel uses the same principle where the first line starts with a description of the "subsystem" that's affected. Personally, in the ChangeLog entries i generate (for other projects, not for Emacs), i generalize this principle. I.e., whereas Linux uses: SUBSYSTEM: SHORT-DESCRIPTION i use instead: [SUBSYSTEM OTHER-ATTR] SHORT-DESCRIPTION That OTHER-ATTR is often something like ‘C’ (for C code or libraries, as opposed to Scheme, for exapmle), or ‘int’ (for "internal" as opposed to user-visible). Example: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/rcs.git/tree/ChangeLog In any case, the practice makes it easy to filter and sort changes (for those who like to ponder Change :-D). That goes back to my original message in this thread: I regularly see commit messages where the first line is only complete if you know to which (set of) file(s) the change is applied. E.g.: Avoid unnecessary call when pixel scrolling Maybe this is a change in the `pixel-scroll` package, but it could also be a change in some completely different package which happens to fix a problem that occurs when used in conjunction with pixel scrolling. I suppose under the Linux practice, this could be: pixel-scroll: Avoid unnecesary call when scrolling and under mine: [pixel-scroll int] Avoid unnecesary call when scrolling Note that, because SUBSYSTEM establishes the context, there is no need to include the "pixel" qualifier in SHORT-DESCRIPTION. I am guessing about ‘int’ because the change seems to be performance (efficiency) related and not user-visible. BTW, in the past i always punctuated (placed a period at the end of SHORT-DESCRIPTION), but i've come around to the mindset of punctuationlessness of late. I suggest we choose one of these methods and add it explicitly to CONTRIBUTE. I see the "; SUMMARY" syntax is documented, why not this, as well? -- Thien-Thi Nguyen ----------------------------------------------- (defun responsep (query) ; (2021) Software Libero (pcase (context query) ; = Dissenso Etico (`(technical ,ml) (correctp ml)) ...)) 748E A0E8 1CB8 A748 9BFA --------------------------------------- 6CE4 6703 2224 4C80 7502