* Re: master 1aa83da46d1 2/2: ; * etc/NEWS: Rename read-process-output-fast here also.
       [not found] ` <20240611064113.5E651C1FB57@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2024-06-11  8:32   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2024-06-11  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Po Lu

    Po Lu> branch: master
    Po Lu> commit 1aa83da46d1af60260b17522608eeca28efff151
    Po Lu> Author: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
    Po Lu> Commit: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>

    Po Lu>     ; * etc/NEWS: Rename read-process-output-fast here also.
    Po Lu> ---
    Po Lu>  etc/NEWS | 2 +-
    Po Lu>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

    Po Lu> diff --git a/etc/NEWS b/etc/NEWS
    Po Lu> index 94557fdd255..a0223fb2dc6 100644
    Po Lu> --- a/etc/NEWS
    Po Lu> +++ b/etc/NEWS
    Po Lu> @@ -131,7 +131,7 @@ The round-trip through the Lisp function
    Po Lu>  'internal-default-process-filter' is skipped when the process filter is
    Po Lu>  the default one.  It's reimplemented in native code, reducing GC churn.

    Po Lu> -To undo the change, set 'read-process-output-fast' to nil.
    Po Lu> +To undo the change, set 'fast-read-process-output' to nil.

I realise weʼve renamed this one already, but would it not make more
sense for the variable to be called something starting with
'process-', such as 'process-fast-read-output'? Thatʼs in line with
other variables affecting the processes process data, such as
`process-adaptive-read-buffering'.

Robert

* Re: master 1aa83da46d1 2/2: ; * etc/NEWS: Rename read-process-output-fast here also.
@ 2024-06-11  8:35     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-06-11  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> I realise weʼve renamed this one already, but would it not make more
> sense for the variable to be called something starting with
> 'process-', such as 'process-fast-read-output'? Thatʼs in line with
> other variables affecting the processes process data, such as
> `process-adaptive-read-buffering'.

I won't object, but we ought to hear from Dimitry also.

* Re: master 1aa83da46d1 2/2: ; * etc/NEWS: Rename read-process-output-fast here also.
@ 2024-06-11  8:36       ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-06-11  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I won't object, but we ought to hear from Dimitry also.

Dmitry, sorry.

* Re: master 1aa83da46d1 2/2: ; * etc/NEWS: Rename read-process-output-fast here also.
@ 2024-06-11 12:28     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2024-06-11 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim, emacs-devel; +Cc: Po Lu

On 11/06/2024 11:32, Robert Pluim wrote:
>      Po Lu> -To undo the change, set 'read-process-output-fast' to nil.
>      Po Lu> +To undo the change, set 'fast-read-process-output' to nil.
>
> I realise weʼve renamed this one already, but would it not make more
> sense for the variable to be called something starting with
> 'process-', such as 'process-fast-read-output'? Thatʼs in line with
> other variables affecting the processes process data, such as
> `process-adaptive-read-buffering'.

The idea behind this name was to match one specific C function (which
might be familiar to many who read Emacs's code), but I don't have a
strong opinion either way. process-read-output-fast, maybe?

Also note that both previous names have been already mentioned in
bug#71452 comments, so I suppose the new one should be mentioned too, in
order to avoid keeping an outdated source on that subject.

* Re: master 1aa83da46d1 2/2: ; * etc/NEWS: Rename read-process-output-fast here also.
@ 2024-06-11 12:35       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2024-06-11 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel, Po Lu

    Dmitry> On 11/06/2024 11:32, Robert Pluim wrote:
    >> Po Lu> -To undo the change, set 'read-process-output-fast' to nil.
    >> Po Lu> +To undo the change, set 'fast-read-process-output' to nil.
    >> I realise weʼve renamed this one already, but would it not make
    >> more
    >> sense for the variable to be called something starting with
    >> 'process-', such as 'process-fast-read-output'? Thatʼs in line with
    >> other variables affecting the processes process data, such as
    >> `process-adaptive-read-buffering'.

    Dmitry> The idea behind this name was to match one specific C function (which
    Dmitry> might be familiar to many who read Emacs's code), but I don't have a
    Dmitry> strong opinion either way. process-read-output-fast, maybe?

If I was being pedantic [1] Iʼd say it should be
'process-read-output-simple', the 'fast' bit is just the side effect
;-)

More seriously: the variable name should describe the semantics. What
underlying function is used as a result is not relevant to users of
the variable.

    Dmitry> Also note that both previous names have been already mentioned in
    Dmitry> bug#71452 comments, so I suppose the new one should be mentioned too,
    Dmitry> in order to avoid keeping an outdated source on that subject.

Investigation for me normally goes

'search bug# in commit log' -> git show <revision>

so it doesnʼt really matter if the bug comments match the code.

Robert

Footnotes:
[1]  Moi, pedantic? Never.

* Re: master 1aa83da46d1 2/2: ; * etc/NEWS: Rename read-process-output-fast here also.
@ 2024-06-11 13:03         ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2024-06-11 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel, Po Lu

On 11/06/2024 15:35, Robert Pluim wrote:
> If I was being pedantic [1] Iʼd say it should be
> 'process-read-output-simple', the 'fast' bit is just the side effect
> 😉
>
> More seriously: the variable name should describe the semantics. What
> underlying function is used as a result is not relevant to users of
> the variable.Investigation for me normally goes

No problem - I'm convinced. ;-)

> 'search bug# in commit log' -> git show <revision>
>
> so it doesnʼt really matter if the bug comments match the code.

Most users don't have the repository checked out, but they might find
the bug report page through a web search.