* Font settings ignored on new frames
@ 2008-06-03 20:59 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-03 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

If I start me Emacs as:

  src/emacs -Q --eval '(custom-set-faces (quote (default ((t (:height 60 :width semi-condensed :family "DejaVu Sans Mono"))))))'

I get the font I expect, but then if I do

  C-x 5 2

the new frame uses `courier'.

* Re: Font settings ignored on new frames
@ 2008-06-04 11:05 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-06-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <jwv3anunsq6.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> If I start me Emacs as:

>   src/emacs -Q --eval '(custom-set-faces (quote (default ((t (:height 60 :width semi-condensed :family "DejaVu Sans Mono"))))))'

> I get the font I expect, but then if I do

>   C-x 5 2

> the new frame uses `courier'.

I have not yet checked the code, but, at least, the emacs of
pre-unicode-merge behaves the same way.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: Font settings ignored on new frames
@ 2008-06-04 16:26   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-04 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> If I start me Emacs as:

>> src/emacs -Q --eval '(custom-set-faces (quote (default ((t (:height 60 :width semi-condensed :family "DejaVu Sans Mono"))))))'

>> I get the font I expect, but then if I do

>> C-x 5 2

>> the new frame uses `courier'.

> I have not yet checked the code, but, at least, the emacs of
> pre-unicode-merge behaves the same way.

Even if it behaved that way all the way back to Emacs-20, it'd still
qualify as a bug wouldn't it?  Just checking that I'm not
misunderstanding how this is supposed to work.

* Re: Font settings ignored on new frames
@ 2008-06-05  0:36     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-06-05  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> If I start me Emacs as:
>>> src/emacs -Q --eval '(custom-set-faces (quote (default ((t (:height 60 :width semi-condensed :family "DejaVu Sans Mono"))))))'

>>> I get the font I expect, but then if I do

>>> C-x 5 2

>>> the new frame uses `courier'.

> > I have not yet checked the code, but, at least, the emacs of
> > pre-unicode-merge behaves the same way.

> Even if it behaved that way all the way back to Emacs-20, it'd still
> qualify as a bug wouldn't it?

Perhaps, but I'm not sure.  I don't understand how
custom-set-faces works.  The docsting just says that it
"initialize faces".  It doesn't say how it interacts with
default-frame-alist, initial-frame-alist, X resources, etc.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: Font settings ignored on new frames
@ 2008-06-05  1:39       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-06-05  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:
>> Even if it behaved that way all the way back to Emacs-20, it'd still
>> qualify as a bug wouldn't it?
>
> Perhaps, but I'm not sure.  I don't understand how
> custom-set-faces works.  The docsting just says that it
> "initialize faces".  It doesn't say how it interacts with
> default-frame-alist, initial-frame-alist, X resources, etc.

All that stuff is just completely nuts.  I don't think backwards
compatibility means all that much, since it's never been very consistent
or reliable.

-Miles

--
Immortality, n.  A toy which people cry for, And on their knees apply for,
      Dispute, contend and lie for, And if allowed Would be right proud

* Re: Font settings ignored on new frames
@ 2008-06-05  2:22       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-05  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> > I have not yet checked the code, but, at least, the emacs of
>> > pre-unicode-merge behaves the same way.

>> Even if it behaved that way all the way back to Emacs-20, it'd still
>> qualify as a bug wouldn't it?

> Perhaps, but I'm not sure.  I don't understand how
> custom-set-faces works.

It doesn't matter how it works: it's the command output by customize.
The call is typically in the user's .emacs as a result of M-x
customize-face.

> The docsting just says that it "initialize faces".  It doesn't say how
> it interacts with default-frame-alist, initial-frame-alist,
> X resources, etc.

In this case there's no other setting (I normally have X resources, but
have carefully removed them all in order to investigate where the
problem comes from).

* Re: Font settings ignored on new frames
@ 2008-06-06 13:07         ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-06-06 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <jwv7id4hbbh.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> [...]

[...]
> It doesn't matter how it works: it's the command output by customize.
> The call is typically in the user's .emacs as a result of M-x
> customize-face.

I was almost lost in the labyrinth of codes to set the
default face attributes, but I at least found this prolem:

With Emacs 23 (pre-unicode-merge and the trunk),
  (custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:family "courier")))))
instantly change the current frame to use courier, but
  (face-attribute 'default :family t)
returns `unspecified'.

On the other hand, with Emacs 22,
  (custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:family "courier")))))
doesn't change the current frame, and
  (face-attribute 'default :family t)
returns "courier".

Which is the correct behaviour?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: Font settings ignored on new frames
@ 2008-06-06 18:16           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-06-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa wrote:

> I was almost lost in the labyrinth of codes to set the
> default face attributes, but I at least found this prolem:
>
> With Emacs 23 (pre-unicode-merge and the trunk),
>   (custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:family "courier")))))
> instantly change the current frame to use courier, but
>   (face-attribute 'default :family t)
> returns `unspecified'.
>
> On the other hand, with Emacs 22,
>   (custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:family "courier")))))
> doesn't change the current frame, and
>   (face-attribute 'default :family t)
> returns "courier".

I don't know if this is relevant to this particular issue, but rms
made some changes to this face-related stuff in the trunk:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg00120.html

   A few months ago I made an effort to clean up the relationship between
   face atttributes and customization...

* Re: Font settings ignored on new frames
@ 2008-06-10 19:17     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-10 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> If I start me Emacs as:
>>> src/emacs -Q --eval '(custom-set-faces (quote (default ((t (:height 60 :width semi-condensed :family "DejaVu Sans Mono"))))))'

>>> I get the font I expect, but then if I do

>>> C-x 5 2

>>> the new frame uses `courier'.

>> I have not yet checked the code, but, at least, the emacs of
>> pre-unicode-merge behaves the same way.

> Even if it behaved that way all the way back to Emacs-20, it'd still
> qualify as a bug wouldn't it?  Just checking that I'm not
> misunderstanding how this is supposed to work.

Actually, this is the same bug as reported in #47
(http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=47) and
#120 (http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=120).