* [ELPA] New package: cobol-mode
@ 2017-01-13 23:17 Edward Hart
From: Edward Hart @ 2017-01-13 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: joakim.jalap, Simon Sobisch, monnier

Hi everyone,

I'd like to submit cobol-mode.el, a major mode for COBOL, everyone's
favourite legacy programming language. It features syntax highlighting for
most modern COBOL dialects, indentation, code skeletons, rulers and basic
formatting functions. It works with both fixed and free source format code.

It is currently hosted at
https://gist.github.com/Edward-H/6768e7dc53ea3dd2adca.

Apologies to those who have been waiting over a year for me to submit this.

Regards,
Edward Hart

* Re: [ELPA] New package: cobol-mode
@ 2017-01-14  3:31 ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2017-01-14  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Hart; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2017-01-13 23:17 +0000, Edward Hart wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to submit cobol-mode.el, a major mode for COBOL, everyone's
> favourite legacy programming language. It features syntax highlighting for
> most modern COBOL dialects, indentation, code skeletons, rulers and basic
> formatting functions. It works with both fixed and free source format code.
>
> It is currently hosted at
> https://gist.github.com/Edward-H/6768e7dc53ea3dd2adca.

That looks like a good addition to GNU ELPA. BTW, is it possible to make
it use cl-lib instead?

Leo

* Re: [ELPA] New package: cobol-mode
@ 2017-01-14 11:37   ` Rostislav Svoboda
From: Rostislav Svoboda @ 2017-01-14 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: Edward Hart, emacs-devel@gnu.org Development

> I'd like to submit cobol-mode.el, a major mode for COBOL

Thanks, if noone else then I will definitely have a look!

* Re: [ELPA] New package: cobol-mode
@ 2017-01-14 13:02 ` Joakim Jalap
From: Joakim Jalap @ 2017-01-14 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Hart; +Cc: Simon Sobisch, monnier, emacs-devel

Edward Hart <edward.dan.hart@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to submit cobol-mode.el, a major mode for COBOL, everyone's favourite legacy programming language. It features syntax highlighting for most modern COBOL dialects,
> indentation, code skeletons, rulers and basic formatting functions. It works with both fixed and free source format code.
>
> It is currently hosted at https://gist.github.com/Edward-H/6768e7dc53ea3dd2adca.

Terrific! :) I will be looking to add imenu support whenever I find the
time :)

> Apologies to those who have been waiting over a year for me to submit this.

There's a Swedish saying: "The one who waits for something good never
waits too long" :)

* Re: [ELPA] New package: cobol-mode
@ 2017-01-14 17:53 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-01-14 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Hart; +Cc: joakim.jalap, Simon Sobisch, emacs-devel

> I'd like to submit cobol-mode.el, a major mode for COBOL, everyone's
> favourite legacy programming language. It features syntax highlighting for
> most modern COBOL dialects, indentation, code skeletons, rulers and basic
> formatting functions. It works with both fixed and free source format code.

> It is currently hosted at
> https://gist.github.com/Edward-H/6768e7dc53ea3dd2adca.

I pushed it to elpa.git along with a few tweaks (you hopefully
received the corresponding commit-diffs).  I had to add a whole bunch of
`eval-and-compile` to get the code to compile (because
`syntax-propertize-rules` needs to compute the regexps during
macro-expansion, and hence during compilation), and I'm pretty sure the
result is not really correct, since some of those eval-and-compile are
around defcustoms, which means that the code is compiled using
a specific value of those defcustoms and won't be re-compiled to
accommodate the user's later preferences.

Please take a look at it (as well as a few other FIXMEs I've added such
as one for `in-string-p` which doesn't exist (well there's one defined
in thingatpt.el but you don't require that package)).  Feel free to ask
further questions to solve those problems,

* Re: [ELPA] New package: cobol-mode
@ 2017-01-15  2:28   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-01-15  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Hart; +Cc: joakim.jalap, Simon Sobisch, emacs-devel

> Please take a look at it (as well as a few other FIXMEs I've added such
> as one for `in-string-p` which doesn't exist (well there's one defined
> in thingatpt.el but you don't require that package)).  Feel free to ask
> further questions to solve those problems,

One more thing: the code mentions using auto-complete, but I don't see
any completion code in cobol-mode, so I'm wondering what kind of
completion offers auto-complete in cobol-mode (e.g. completion of
keywords or dabbrev-style completion?).

It'd be good to provide some completion-at-point-function so that it
works for the built-in completion (via `completion-at-point`) as well as
company (and IIUC auto-complete also supports
completion-at-point-functions nowadays).