Henrik Holmboe writes: > Ok. I very seldomly install software from source since every piece > then needs "manual" updating in contrast to Debian's APT binary > packages. Me, too. Of course, I have a Debian package that builds from CVS source every night... Still, when CVS doesn't build out-of-the-box, the package doesn't update. > With that in mind, would you recommend me to install the whole thing > (Emacs+Gnus) from source or just pull xml.el (and possibly other > relevant files) and use dpkg-divert to still be able to use updates > from Debian untill xml.el is up to the version needed? When I install something for emacs, and it isn't debian-ized, yet, I put it in my ~/.elisp directory (which is at the front of my load-path). Alternatively, you can use the debian package that I created. Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list: deb http://mah.everybody.org/debian/ unstable . After updating, you should be able to install "xml-el". If this is useful, then I'll have it build nightly. Mark. -- A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also. -- Zimran Ahmed