* Proposed alias.
@ 2005-01-21 13:55 David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-01-21 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I have quite often used `find-grep-dired' and it has been a
nuisance that the more often needed `find-grep' is not available.  I
only discovered by accident that it _does_ exist, but only under the
name `grep-find'.

Which is completely illogical.  So I propose to add an alias
`find-grep' to `grep-find'.

Any protests?

* Re: Proposed alias.
@ 2005-01-22  2:53 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-01-22  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Which is completely illogical.  So I propose to add an alias
    `find-grep' to `grep-find'.

Ok.

* Re: Proposed alias.
@ 2005-02-26 10:31 ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-02-26 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> I have quite often used `find-grep-dired' and it has been a nuisance
> that the more often needed `find-grep' is not available.  I only
> discovered by accident that it _does_ exist, but only under the name
> `grep-find'.

How about adding a `grep-find-dired' alias to `find-grep-dired' as well?

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | It was fourteen degrees below
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | on a screeching march 23.

* Re: Proposed alias.
@ 2005-02-26 10:44   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-02-26 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I have quite often used `find-grep-dired' and it has been a
>> nuisance that the more often needed `find-grep' is not available.
>> I only discovered by accident that it _does_ exist, but only under
>> the name `grep-find'.
>
> How about adding a `grep-find-dired' alias to `find-grep-dired' as
> well?

Uh, that does not make sense.  One does not run `grep' piped into
`find'.  But one _does_ run `find' piped into `grep'.

The name "grep-find" is quite counterintuitive and probably only
chosen because it is in the grep package, and so the "grep-" prefix
somewhat suggested itself.  Not really a good choice in my book, but
removing the existing binding would not be nice, either.

However, I see no merit for adding the alias you suggest here.  What
would the logic behind it be?

* Re: Proposed alias.
@ 2005-02-26 11:30     ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-02-26 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> The name "grep-find" is quite counterintuitive and probably only
> chosen because it is in the grep package, and so the "grep-" prefix
> somewhat suggested itself.

It's not counterintuitive.  It's an extension to `grep', but it uses
find to find files recursively.  Once you're used to M-x grep RET, using
M-x grep-find RET comes naturally.

> However, I see no merit for adding the alias you suggest here.  What
> would the logic behind it be?

It does the same thing as `grep-find', but presents the results
differently.  I often find myself typing "M-x g r e p TAB" then having
to erase the command and begin with "f i n d -" to use
`find-grep-dired', because what I want to do is use grep, not use find.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | I've become someone else's
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | nightmare...

* Re: Proposed alias.
@ 2005-02-26 16:36       ` Aidan Kehoe
From: Aidan Kehoe @ 2005-02-26 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

 Ar an séú lá is fiche de mí Feabhra, scríobh Romain Francoise:

 > David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
 >
 > > The name "grep-find" is quite counterintuitive and probably only
 > > chosen because it is in the grep package, and so the "grep-" prefix
 > > somewhat suggested itself.
 >
 > It's not counterintuitive.  It's an extension to `grep', but it uses
 > find to find files recursively.  Once you're used to M-x grep RET, using
 > M-x grep-find RET comes naturally.

And if you’re used to

  find . -type f -exec grep -nH whatever {} \;

in the shell, M-x grep-find RET seems totally alien. IMO, of course.

--
“I, for instance, am gung-ho about open source because my family is being
held hostage in Rob Malda’s basement. But who fact-checks me, or Enderle,

* Re: Proposed alias.
@ 2005-02-26 20:13     ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2005-02-26 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>DK> Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

>>> How about adding a `grep-find-dired' alias to `find-grep-dired' as
>>> well?

>DK> Uh, that does not make sense.  One does not run `grep' piped into
>DK> `find'.  But one _does_ run `find' piped into `grep'.

>DK> The name "grep-find" is quite counterintuitive and probably only
>DK> chosen because it is in the grep package, and so the "grep-" prefix
>DK> somewhat suggested itself.  Not really a good choice in my book, but
>DK> removing the existing binding would not be nice, either.

find-grep-dired gives you a Find-style buffer and grep-find gives you a
Grep-style buffer. This is reflected in the name. If people are confused
they can make the alias themselves, in whatever direction they find useful.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet@vanoostrum.org