* [jdsmith@as.arizona.edu: mouse-yank-at-point in Comint modes]
@ 2006-12-09  6:01 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-09  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would someone please debug this, then ack?

To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: JD Smith <jdsmith@as.arizona.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:16:10 -0700
Subject: mouse-yank-at-point in Comint modes

COMINT modes like shell inhibit the behavior of mouse-yank-at-point.

M-x shell
M-x set-variable [Ret] mouse-yank-at-point [Ret] t
% echo foo [C-a]
[Select text in another buffer and middle click into shell buffer, after
'foo']

Text is not yanked at point.  This is a new behavior of Emacs 22.

JD

* Re: [jdsmith@as.arizona.edu: mouse-yank-at-point in Comint modes]
@ 2006-12-09 11:16 ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-12-09 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Would someone please debug this, then ack?

I installed a fix for this.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the

@ 2006-12-09 12:17   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-12-09 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> I installed a fix for this.

The call to `mouse-set-point' that was removed used to select the
comint window/buffer. After this change the code is executed in the
wrong buffer if a different window was selected before the click.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: [jdsmith@as.arizona.edu: mouse-yank-at-point in Comint modes]
@ 2006-12-09 13:20     ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-12-09 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> The call to `mouse-set-point' that was removed used to select the
> comint window/buffer. After this change the code is executed in the
> wrong buffer if a different window was selected before the click.

Ah, right.  It seems that trying to handle this case is hopeless because
when `mouse-yank-at-point' is t, yanking will always try to yank in the
wrong buffer if the target buffer is not current when Emacs receives the
event (since `mouse-yank-at-click' skips the `mouse-set-point' call in
that case).

So instead of adding a workaround for this problem, I just reverted my
change.  I guess that calling `posn-window' to select the window first
would work, but it's better left for later...

@ 2006-12-09 18:26       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-09 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Ah, right.  It seems that trying to handle this case is hopeless because
    when `mouse-yank-at-point' is t, yanking will always try to yank in the
    wrong buffer if the target buffer is not current when Emacs receives the
    event (since `mouse-yank-at-click' skips the `mouse-set-point' call in
    that case).

When `mouse-yank-at-point' is t, the right thing to do is look up the
binding in the selected window (if it is different from the one
clicked on) and run that binding.  Both `mouse-yank-at-click' and
`comint-insert-input' should do that.

That way, if a comint buffer is selected, and you click in another window,
`comint-insert-input' will do its thing.

We need to prevent this from recurring more than once.
So if the function looks up the binding and sees "it's me"
it should proceed to do its real job.