* make-auto-save-file-name change NEWS-worthy?
@ 2008-04-04 10:23 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2008-04-04 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have some code that operates on auto-save files based on the
assumption that they match the pattern #<buffer-name># for a particular
value of buffer-name.  This code stopped working, I believe after this
change:

2008-03-01  Jason Rumney  <jasonr@gnu.org>

	* files.el (make-auto-save-file-name): Encode more characters in
	non-file buffer names.  Use url-encoding.

I wasn't aware of this change and only recently discovered that it broke
my code (in particular, since `*' in buffer-name is now `%2A', due to
url-encoding).  Since it changes a previous default, shouldn't it be
mentioned in NEWS?  (It isn't in GNU Emacs 23.0.60.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of 2008-03-31 on escher; if it's been added in the
mean time, sorry for the noise.)

Steve Berman

* Re: make-auto-save-file-name change NEWS-worthy?
@ 2008-04-04 14:05 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-04 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> 2008-03-01  Jason Rumney  <jasonr@gnu.org>

> 	* files.el (make-auto-save-file-name): Encode more characters in
> 	non-file buffer names.  Use url-encoding.

> I wasn't aware of this change and only recently discovered that it broke
> my code (in particular, since `*' in buffer-name is now `%2A', due to
> url-encoding).

Maybe we should add * to the list of "safe" characters that do not
require url-encoding?  What do people think?