* eshell 'rm' command broken
@ 2009-02-09 17:45 Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2009-02-09 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

with emacs -Q on a recent copy of the CVS, I can't use 'rm' in eshell.
It complains :

  Symbol's value as variable is void: interactive

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: EShell

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

--
  Paul

* Re: eshell 'rm' command broken
@ 2009-02-09 18:20 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-02-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul R; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul R <paul.r.ml@gmail.com> writes:

> with emacs -Q on a recent copy of the CVS, I can't use 'rm' in eshell.
> It complains :
>
>   Symbol's value as variable is void: interactive

I can't reproduce this on very latest CVS.  How recent is your copy, and
what platform are you running on?

* Re: eshell 'rm' command broken
@ 2009-02-09 18:57   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-02-09 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul R, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:

> How recent is your copy, and what platform are you running on?

AKA: "Please use M-x report-emacs-bug to report bugs".

* Re: eshell 'rm' command broken
@ 2009-02-09 19:02 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-02-09 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul R; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul R wrote:

> with emacs -Q on a recent copy of the CVS, I can't use 'rm' in eshell.
> It complains :
>
>   Symbol's value as variable is void: interactive

http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1969#15

  I just ran make maintainer-clean and recompiled the sources, and
  that seems to have fixed the problem.

* Re: eshell 'rm' command broken
@ 2009-02-09 19:18     ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2009-02-09 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:57:20 -0500, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> said:

GM> Chong Yidong wrote:
>> How recent is your copy, and what platform are you running on?

GM> AKA: "Please use M-x report-emacs-bug to report bugs".

Indeed, I missed the information of the OS : gnu/linux

  GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4) of
  2009-02-09 on ubuT42 Windowing system distributor `The X.Org
  Foundation', version 11.0.10502000

  [snip, the rest was already provided]

--
  Paul

* Re: eshell 'rm' command broken
@ 2009-02-09 19:27   ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2009-02-09 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello chong,

Chong> I can't reproduce this on very latest CVS. How recent is your
Chong> copy, and what platform are you running on?

reproduced on latest cvs, GNU/Linux (ubuntu)

I started digging into em-unix.el to look at eshell/rm but the behaviour
is surprising. I'll report here if I find something.

thanks

--
  Paul

* Re: eshell 'rm' command broken
@ 2009-02-09 20:09       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-02-09 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul R; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul R wrote:

> GM> AKA: "Please use M-x report-emacs-bug to report bugs".

It also sends things to the right address.

@ 2009-02-10  9:12   ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2009-02-10  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

GM> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1969#15

GM>   I just ran make maintainer-clean and recompiled the sources, and
GM> that seems to have fixed the problem.

Thank you for the pointer.

After a maintainer-clean operation the problem is gone. A dist-clean did
not solve it. Should that be written somewhere in the build
instructions ?

--
  Paul

* Re: eshell 'rm' command broken
@ 2009-02-10 17:32     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-02-10 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul R; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul R wrote:

> After a maintainer-clean operation the problem is gone. A dist-clean did
> not solve it. Should that be written somewhere in the build
> instructions ?

INSTALL.CVS:

    Very occasionally changes in the source can introduce
    incompatibilities with previous builds. If a bootstrap fails, as a
    last resort try "make maintainer-clean" before configuring and
    bootstrapping again.