* Choosing a moment for the Bazaar switchover.
@ 2009-03-20 17:49 Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2009-03-20 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Thanks to Jason Earl and others, we've solved most of our Bazaar
conversion issues.  There are still a few things to clean up, but I
think we're at the stage where it would help to plan for a switchover
date.

When should we do this?  Some options:

   1) Now, i.e., as soon as the conversion is ready (in which case we'll
      start prepping knowing that it's for real this time).
   2) When we branch for release.
   3) Immediately after the release.

I advocate for (1), on the grounds that there is never a good time for
these things anyway, and the sooner they are done the better.  By going
through a release process with a new version control system, we know
we'll work out all the kinks, and by the end of it, everyone will be
comfortable with Bazaar.

(No doubt it will interfere with the release a bit -- but that would
happen whenever we first release with a new VC system.)

Also, (1) is the option that doesn't tie the switchover to things that
could take an unknown amount of time.  (2) or (3) create a dependency
that can delay the switchover indefinitely.

Thoughts?

-Karl