* Please consider fixing #3437 before release
@ 2009-06-12 21:56 Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-06-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I heard that Emacs 23 will be released soon so I'd like to ask Emacs
maintainers or release managers to consider fixing bug #3437 before the
release:

    http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3437

The bug report even has a patch attached.

The bug is about kill-visual-line command behaving unexpectedly when
executed at the end of a logical line. I think everybody would expect it
to delete only the newline, like kill-line does, but kill-visual-line
deletes not only the newline character but also the next line up to the
cursor position. See the bug report for a concrete example.

I use visual-line-mode with all text modes. Hence I also use
kill-visual-line (C-k) a lot. I think people with similar habits will
notice this bug in no time.

* Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release
@ 2009-06-13  7:02 ` Rudi Schlatte
From: Rudi Schlatte @ 2009-06-13  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> I heard that Emacs 23 will be released soon so I'd like to ask Emacs
> maintainers or release managers to consider fixing bug #3437 before the
> release:
>
>     http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3437
>
> The bug report even has a patch attached.
>
> The bug is about kill-visual-line command behaving unexpectedly when
> executed at the end of a logical line. I think everybody would expect it
> to delete only the newline, like kill-line does, but kill-visual-line
> deletes not only the newline character but also the next line up to the
> cursor position. See the bug report for a concrete example.

Aaah, so that's the reason for some of the half-sentences I produced
recently!  Seems I'm so sure about the behavior of C-k that I just
remove the newline and jump elsewhere, without realizing that too much
is deleted.

In other words, this has caused me data loss (text loss) and will now
slow down my typing speed until a fix is in.

* Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release
@ 2009-06-13 10:21   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2009-06-13 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Rudi Schlatte; +Cc: emacs-devel

2009/6/13 Rudi Schlatte <rudi@constantly.at>:
> Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
>
>> I heard that Emacs 23 will be released soon so I'd like to ask Emacs
>> maintainers or release managers to consider fixing bug #3437 before the
>> release:
>>
>>     http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3437
>>
>> The bug report even has a patch attached.
>>
>> The bug is about kill-visual-line command behaving unexpectedly when
>> executed at the end of a logical line. I think everybody would expect it
>> to delete only the newline, like kill-line does, but kill-visual-line
>> deletes not only the newline character but also the next line up to the
>> cursor position. See the bug report for a concrete example.
>
> Aaah, so that's the reason for some of the half-sentences I produced
> recently!  Seems I'm so sure about the behavior of C-k that I just
> remove the newline and jump elsewhere, without realizing that too much
> is deleted.
>
> In other words, this has caused me data loss (text loss) and will now
> slow down my typing speed until a fix is in.

I felt exactly the same when I found this thread. I recently finished
my master thesis and way too often did I find only the second half of
sentences in AUCTeX. I thought I accidentally hit some modifier before
C-k causing this behavior... That being said, I think this bug should
have the highest possible priority.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release
@ 2009-06-13 18:28 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-06-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> I heard that Emacs 23 will be released soon so I'd like to ask Emacs
> maintainers or release managers to consider fixing bug #3437 before the
> release:

The function kill-visual-line is not very well implemented, I think.
I'll see what I can do.

* Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release
@ 2009-06-13 18:57 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-06-13 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: 3437, emacs-devel, Rudi Schlatte, Deniz Dogan

I've checked in a fixed-up version of kill-visual-line into CVS.  Please
test it and see if there are any problems.

* Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release
@ 2009-06-13 19:09   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2009-06-13 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: 3437, Teemu Likonen, Rudi Schlatte, emacs-devel

2009/6/13 Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>:
> I've checked in a fixed-up version of kill-visual-line into CVS.  Please
> test it and see if there are any problems.

Seems fixed to me.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release
@ 2009-06-13 19:54   ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-06-13 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel, Rudi Schlatte, Deniz Dogan

On 2009-06-13 14:57 (-0400), Chong Yidong wrote:

> I've checked in a fixed-up version of kill-visual-line into CVS.
> Please test it and see if there are any problems.

Thank you! It works as I expect it to work.

Also, thanks for anybody who took part in implementing visual-line-mode
and its parts. It's great.

* Re: Please consider fixing #3437 before release
@ 2009-06-14  8:21     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-06-14  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
> Also, thanks for anybody who took part in implementing visual-line-mode
> and its parts. It's great.

Yup, it makes using emacs to edit text for pasting in other apps a lot nicer...

[longlines-mode never quite seemed as seamless, tho I don't remember the
details]

-Miles

--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)